How to lock background?

Old November 20th 08, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
kirsten

Default How to lock background?

Hi,

Can someone help a desperate swede? =) I need to know how I can lock the
picture (gif-format) that I have inserted into a Word document? I´m making
the companys stationary paper and I would like this picture - used as
background, to be locked, so no one can delete it. When it´s locked, it would
be able to wright ordinary text in the document or do I always need to use
the Text box?

Can some one help me? Thank you!
Old November 20th 08, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

There is no method of preventing someone from deleting a graphic from a
document that cannot be worked around. Your best bet is to insert the
graphic (with its layout property set to 'behind text') in the appropriate
page header(s), which will prevent accidental deletion. You don't need a
text box.
--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old November 20th 08, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

Kirsten wrote:
Hi,

Can someone help a desperate swede? =) I need to know how I can lock
the picture (gif-format) that I have inserted into a Word document?
Im making the companys stationary paper and I would like this
picture - used as background, to be locked, so no one can delete it.
When its locked, it would be able to wright ordinary text in the
document or do I always need to use the Text box?

Can some one help me? Thank you!

There is a feature (Format Background Printed Watermark Picture
Watermark) that may do what you want, but it seems that many printer drivers
are unable to handle it properly and print many small copies of the picture
instead of one large copy. It's often better to use a different approach.

Insert the picture while the cursor is in the header pane. Format its text
wrapping as "Behind Text". It will then appear on every page, and you won't
need a text box or anything else in order to type ordinary text.

The theory and detailed steps for this are discussed in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.

There are variations; for example, if you want the picture to appear only on
the first page, you can set up the document layout for "Different first
page" and insert the picture in the first-page header.

Note that this does not make it so that "no one can delete it" -- it merely
makes it easy to create and edit ordinary text without the chance of
accidentally deleting the background picture. To select the picture in order
to delete it, you have to open the header pane first, which is not something
that happens without deliberate action.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old November 21st 08, 10:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
kirsten

Thank you for your fast reply! However - The background is a big object with
the same size as the paper, A4. This means that if I put it in the head page,
it takes up the whole space and then I can´t wright on it anyway - unless I
insert a Text Box. But this seems to be the best way.

Old November 21st 08, 10:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PeterMcC

"Kirsten" wrote in message
Thank you for your fast reply! However - The background is a big object
with
the same size as the paper, A4. This means that if I put it in the head
page,
it takes up the whole space and then I can´t wright on it anyway - unless
insert a Text Box. But this seems to be the best way.

The key bit that - I think - you're missing from Jay's instructions is that
you place the image in the header.

Select the header by clicking on it, paste your image and the image will be,
effectively, part of the header although it will cover the whole page.

Then right click on the image, select Format Picture Layout Wrapping
style Behind Text.

Close the header and you'll be able to type over the image.

HTH

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Old November 21st 08, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And I'll repeat Jay's reference to
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm, which explains all
this.

"Kirsten" wrote in message
I will try again. =)

"PeterMcC" wrote:

"Kirsten" wrote in message
[...]

How can I tell if the caps lock is on? Roger Vee Microsoft Word Help 6 August 10th 08 06:48 PM
printing tiled background instead of full page background teacher4 Microsoft Word Help 0 May 18th 07 03:03 PM
Allow elimination of keyboard lock when pressing caps lock button Barry Microsoft Word Help 2 December 28th 05 10:01 AM
Num Lock Lindylou Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 05 12:08 AM
Picture as Cell Background (or label background)? Mr B Microsoft Word Help 1 January 13th 05 06:33 PM