mail merge cut off or truncating 255 word limit

Old December 19th 08, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim

Default mail merge cut off or truncating 255 word limit

here is a good solution ms word 2003 (and probably works for other versions)
for mail merges using an excel database (just an excel spreadsheet with your
merge information)

in microsoft word 2003, with any document open, go to tools, options

click the general tab

check "confirm conversion at open"

exit microsoft word

restart microsoft word

connect your merge document to your database (excel spreadsheet/ms word
document with table)

when you do this, it will ask you to "Confirm Data Source"--choose MS Excel
Spreadsheets via DDE

it will now show all of the information in the spreadsheet.

why microsoft doesn't make this the default is beyond me. it has taken me 5
years to figure this out and i consider myself a pretty knowledgable user.

Old December 19th 08, 08:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

See http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm for a more complete picture.

The DDE nethod works fine for a lot of people but does not cope with
everything.

What I would say is that the ODBC driver and OLE DB provider have always
needed fixing (and still need fixing) so that they behave consistently no
matter what data and formatting are in the sheet. Then we really could leave
the DDE method behind.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

More Mail Merge truncating cheshirecat Mailmerge 8 May 22nd 09 11:27 PM
Truncating in Mail Merge Laurel Mailmerge 8 June 7th 07 10:18 AM
Mail merge limit word 2000 C Mailmerge 5 January 25th 07 01:29 PM
How to stop Word from truncating data in an mail merge field? Hope Hare Mailmerge 1 September 8th 05 07:07 PM
Why is the WORD mail merge truncating information? KristineB Mailmerge 3 June 14th 05 09:31 AM