margins to set for finished book page size 6x9 paperback

Old January 12th 09, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
POTENTIAL AUTHOR

Default margins to set for finished book page size 6x9 paperback

TRYING TO PUBLISH A BOOK. FINISHED SIZE PAGES WILL BE 6X9 PAPERBACK FORM.
WAS TRYING TO GET AN IDEA HOW MANY PAGES A BOOK THAT I HAVE ALREADY TYPED IN
8.5 X 11 WOULD BE IN A FINISHED 6X9 BOOK SIZE. WAS A LITTLE UNCLEAR HOW I'D
SET MARGINS TO PRODUCE THAT SIZE FINISHED BOOK. WAS USING "MARGIN SET" AND
GIVING IT 2" MARGINS ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM AND MAKING THE MARGINS A TOTAL OF
4.5 INCHES OFF THE WIDTH . I FIGURED THAT WOULD GIVE ME A FINISHED PAGE SIZE
OF 6X9 BUT WITH A 1-INCH BORDER AROUND EACH PAGE MAKING THE ACTUAL TYPED ARE
4X7. IS A 1-INCH BORDER AROUND THE PAGE TOO MUCH?? ANY HELP WOULD BE
APPRECIATED
Old January 12th 09, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PamC via OfficeKB.com

If what you are trying to do is format an 8.5x11 page to approximate how
many finished pages your your book copy might fill, measure the text only
(no headers or page numbers) of a book of a similar size. Subtract the
height from 11 and halve the result that to get the top and bottom margins.
Do the same thing with the width to get the left and right margina.

Of course font, point size, and leading (line spacing) also have a lot to do
with the fit.

PamC