How do I continue page numbers after a section break?

Old March 15th 05, 12:53 PM
Amethia

Default How do I continue page numbers after a section break?

I have a document with several section breaks (I'm not sure why, I didn't
write it myself!) dividing it into three sections. I need the page numbers to
run continuously through the document.
I have inserted page numbers and these run fine until the end of section 2.
I can not, however, get them to run on to the end of the document. When I
insert or format page numbers nothing appears, I have tried increasing the
margin sizes etc but still can not get the numbers to show. If I remove the
section breaks it completely changes the formatting of my document so that
isn't really an option.

Sorry for the long winded question but it's the best way I can describe the
problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old March 15th 05, 01:14 PM
Greg

Amethia,

Open the header and footer view. Scroll down in your document until
you see in the status bar that you are in a Section 3 header or footer.
You can link this header or footer to the previous Section 2 by
toggling the icon Link to previous(or same as previous depending on
Word version) or you can insert a page field separately.

Old March 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Amethia

Hi Greg, thanks for your responce.

When I link the footer to the previous section it inserts the same number on
every page (so every page in section 3 is page number 26). When I try to
insert page numbers nothing appears.. I'm at my wits end!

Any more suggestions? Or can you spot what I might be doing worng?

(I'm using Word 2000 if that makes any difference)

Old March 15th 05, 01:38 PM
Greg

Amethis,

Again in Section 3 header and footer view. Toggle field code (ALT+F9).
Did the character 26 change to display { PAGE }?

If not, you or someone else numbered page with direct text.

I would remove all existing page numbers and start from scratch.

See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

Old March 15th 05, 02:17 PM
Amethia

That put me on the right path & I've resolved it.

Thanks for your help Greg.

Amethia