How do I insert the caret mark over a letter?

Old January 15th 09, 03:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kay

Default How do I insert the caret mark over a letter?

I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. How do I do that?
Old January 15th 09, 04:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:17:01 -0800, Kay wrote:

I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. How do I do that?

You don't want a caret (which is the ^ symbol), you want an acute accent as in
Renée. There are several ways to enter the single character é :

- Hold down the Alt key while you type 0233 on the number pad (with NumLock on).
This works in all Windows programs; the others work only in Word.

- Press the Ctrl key and the apostrophe together, release them, and type the e

- Type the code e9 and then press Alt+X

- Use the Insert Symbol dialog

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for more.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old January 15th 09, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]

On Jan 14, 10:17*pm, Kay wrote:
I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. *How do I do that?

You don't. There are no circumflex accents in that name.

You want an acute accent: Ctrl-' (apostrophe) e.

If you ever do need a circumflex accent, it's Ctrl-Shift-6 (caret)
followed by the vowel.

(And, to round out the French accents, Ctrl-` for the grave, Ctrl-
Shift-: (colon) for the dieresis, and Ctrl-, (comma) for the cedilla.)
Old January 15th 09, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing is a circumflex accent, but I can't imagine that
anyone spells Renee with such an accent. Renée (with an acute accent) would
be more likely. You can insert accented letters using Insert | Symbol or by
using the built-in keyboard shortcuts; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

The shortcut for é is Ctrl+', e
The shortcut for ê (if that's what you really want) is Ctrl+^, e

http://word.mvps.org