Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BBMC BBMC is offline

Default Problem with Skipping Records in Mail Merge

I have set up a 2-column, 3-row table (table size is 8x10.5). Column 1
contains the merge fields. The same merge fields repeat in all 3 rows. In
addition, each row a few words and an imported signature that are static. I
have the merge set up in directory format. The problem I am having is when I
execute the merge, every fourth record from my data source is skipped. When
I view 'Edit Recipient List' all records are checked, including the missing
records that should have merged. I've used data sources from Access and
Excel, ending up with the same results. The version I am using is 97-2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds as if you have one { NEXT } field (Next record field) in
each row.

In this case, you should probably have a { NEXT } field at the beginning
of rows 2 and 3, but not row 1.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

BBMC wrote:
I have set up a 2-column, 3-row table (table size is 8x10.5). Column 1
contains the merge fields. The same merge fields repeat in all 3 rows. In
addition, each row a few words and an imported signature that are static. I
have the merge set up in directory format. The problem I am having is when I
execute the merge, every fourth record from my data source is skipped. When
I view 'Edit Recipient List' all records are checked, including the missing
records that should have merged. I've used data sources from Access and
Excel, ending up with the same results. The version I am using is 97-2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Peter has given the cause -
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm explain the process.

BBMC wrote:
I have set up a 2-column, 3-row table (table size is 8x10.5). Column
1 contains the merge fields. The same merge fields repeat in all 3
rows. In addition, each row a few words and an imported signature
that are static. I have the merge set up in directory format. The
problem I am having is when I execute the merge, every fourth record
from my data source is skipped. When I view 'Edit Recipient List'
all records are checked, including the missing records that should
have merged. I've used data sources from Access and Excel, ending up
with the same results. The version I am using is 97-2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SusanG SusanG is offline

I'm having the same problem in XP with Excel 2007 and Word 2007 and I've
never had this problem before, ever, in years of doing merges. It's with the
directory choice, I have no extra Next Record fields, although I do have the
one required Next Record field. I used both ODBC Excel datasource and just
navigated to the Excel file, as in Select Recipients, both methods that
worked previously.
With Select Recipients, my preview is correct, but the Output file skips all
the even records. With ODBC datasource, the preview is correct, but the
Output file skips all the even records (starts with row 2).
This is not a problem of inexperience with merges, IMO, I've done hundreds
and hundreds.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You don't say which type of merge you are doing but you do not generally
need /any/ Next Record fields unless you are doing label merges or need
to include the data from more than one record in a single letter etc..
One Next Record field would be required in a two-labels per page label
type merge.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

SusanG wrote:
I'm having the same problem in XP with Excel 2007 and Word 2007 and I've
never had this problem before, ever, in years of doing merges. It's with the
directory choice, I have no extra Next Record fields, although I do have the
one required Next Record field. I used both ODBC Excel datasource and just
navigated to the Excel file, as in Select Recipients, both methods that
worked previously.
With Select Recipients, my preview is correct, but the Output file skips all
the even records. With ODBC datasource, the preview is correct, but the
Output file skips all the even records (starts with row 2).
This is not a problem of inexperience with merges, IMO, I've done hundreds
and hundreds.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SusanG SusanG is offline

OK, so this file DOESN'T need a Next Record field, in the Directory mode.
Although I still think there's a bug, because I tried that twice (deleting
the field from the merge document a few times) and still reproduced the
error. Then I used Excel and Word 2003. Still happened, with and without a
Next Record field.
Went back to a blank slate, in Excel and Word 2007, starting from scratch,
new datafile, everything, leaving out a Next Record file instead of deleting
it, and finally, finally got the correct output file.
Susan