Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gaby Gaby is offline

Default How type Umlaut quickly on keyboard without sep number pad?

when writing in German need to use Umlaut and sz sound, when Spanish need
special letters there... I used to use special number code with holding Alt
key to achieve this, but now I have numbers above letters in row rather than
on the side of keyboard and they do not work in the same way.
is there a equally quick and easy alternative?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Gaby wrote:
when writing in German need to use Umlaut and sz sound, when Spanish
need special letters there... I used to use special number code with
holding Alt key to achieve this, but now I have numbers above letters
in row rather than on the side of keyboard and they do not work in
the same way.
is there a equally quick and easy alternative?

Yes, there are built-in shortcuts for many of the umlaut and accent
characters, as listed in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm.

For ü you can hold the Ctrl and Shift keys while typing a colon (, release
them and type the u key.

For ß you can hold the Ctrl and Shift keys while typing an ampersand (&),
release them and type the s key.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman