Is there a way to type a division symbol using Word 2003 fonts?

Old March 18th 05, 11:35 AM
Faithe

Default Is there a way to type a division symbol using Word 2003 fonts?

I often type things that need math symbols, and I can't seem to find a way to
type the division symbol. I use Word 2003. If there is anyone who knows,
please respond as quickly as possible. THANKS
Old March 18th 05, 02:51 PM
gap

Faithe

To insert the character you want, press and hold down ALT while typing the
decimal numeric equivalent. For example, to insert the degree symbol, press
and hold down ALT while typing 0176 on the numeric keypad. Note: You must
use the numeric keypad to type the number and not the keyboard. Make sure
that the NUM LOCK key is on if your keyboard requires it to type numbers on
the numeric keypad.

ALT + 0247 = ÷

Hope this is what you want.

gap

Old March 18th 05, 03:05 PM
Jay Freedman

Faithe wrote:
I often type things that need math symbols, and I can't seem to find
a way to type the division symbol. I use Word 2003. If there is
anyone who knows, please respond as quickly as possible. THANKS

If you mean the symbol, it's standard in all "regular" fonts such as Arial
and Times New Roman. You can insert it manually by holding the Alt key while
pressing 0247 on the number pad.

Alternatively you can open the Insert Symbol dialog, set the Font box to
"(normal text)" and set the "from" box in the lower right to "ASCII
(decimal)", and type 247 in the "Character code" box. Then you can click the
Insert button. If you use this symbol often, click the AutoCorrect button
and enter some short sequence (for example, -: ) that Word will
automatically replace with the character.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old March 18th 05, 03:52 PM

Thanks, Jay, for reminding me (after I used Insert | Symbol to insert this
symbol half a dozen times the other day) that I have assigned a keyboard
shortcut for this! I find that Ctrl+:, - works very well. (That is, I use
Ctrl+colon as a setup key, the same way it is used for umlauted vowels, then
press hyphen.)