Word conversion to PDF freezes

Old March 20th 05, 03:35 AM
Nighthawk

Default Word conversion to PDF freezes

I have two computers, one with Win98 OS and one with WinXP. On the computer
with WinXP, when I try to convert a Word document to Adobe PDF format by
printing with Adobe Distiller, the progress bar in the dialog box that pops
up for Distiller stops at about 40% of the way across and the process hangs
up. When I click Ctrl/Alt/Delete, it shows Word is not responding and I have
to exit Word. This does not happen on my machine with Win98. It converts Word
to Adobe PDF without a hitch. Both machines have Word 2000 and Adobe Acrobat
5.0 installed on them. I tried a clean reinstall of Adobe 5.0 on the machine
with WinXP and the process works OK after the reinstall, but the next time I
go to do it again after the computer has been turned off and back on again
another day, the same hang up occurs.
Any thoughts?
Old March 20th 05, 08:15 AM
Graham Mayor

Did you install the XP updates to Adobe 5 on the XP machine?
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/update.html

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old March 20th 05, 09:23 PM
Nighthawk

I've tried to download the update, but the download hangs up at 99% on the
progress bar.
_________________

Old March 21st 05, 10:46 AM
Graham Mayor

I just checked and had no problems downloading this file
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/...5.x/a5u1t1.exe

Old March 21st 05, 11:05 PM
Nighthawk

Thanks for your interest. I was able to download the update this time, but it
didn't solve the problem. In the meantime, I received a response to my
inquiry in an about.com forum that suggested I try a free program called
"pdf995." I downloaded it and it works beautifully... much quicker and
cleaner than Acrobat Distiller. I'm going to use it instead and forget about
Distiller. Converted documents open in Adobe Acrobat the same as they did
with Distiller. Here's the link in case anyone reading this thread is having
problems with Distiller:
http://www.pdf995.com/