A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Track changes: Moves



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 30th 09, 11:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,751
Default Track changes: Moves

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?
Ads
  #2  
Old May 30th 09, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,292
Default Track changes: Moves

Is your document in 97-2003 format? Then that explains why. Special marking
of “moves” is not supported in Word 2003 and earlier. You should see the
marking of “moves” correctly in documents in 2007 format.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word


"grammatim" wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?

  #3  
Old May 31st 09, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,855
Default Track changes: Moves

On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:39:23 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?


According to
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
  #4  
Old May 31st 09, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,751
Default Track changes: Moves

I tried it with a paragraph. Not only did it wipe out the existing
Tracked Changes (simply presenting the final version as an insertion),
it treated it as deleted and inserted.

On May 30, 7:14*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:39:23 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:

There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?


According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."

The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.


  #5  
Old May 31st 09, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,751
Default Track changes: Moves

On May 30, 6:54*pm, Lene Fredborg
wrote:
Is your document in 97-2003 format?


Of course not! (And the option isn't available in Compatibility Mode.)

Then that explains why. Special marking
of moves is not supported in Word 2003 and earlier. You should see the
marking of moves correctly in documents in 2007 format.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)
DocTools - Denmarkwww.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word



"grammatim" wrote:
There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?-

  #6  
Old May 31st 09, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,751
Default Track changes: Moves

If there were _no tracked changes_ in the moved sentence, it changes
to green in both places when it's pasted.

That's not useful!

On May 30, 11:19*pm, grammatim wrote:
I tried it with a paragraph. Not only did it wipe out the existing
Tracked Changes (simply presenting the final version as an insertion),
it treated it as deleted and inserted.

On May 30, 7:14*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:



On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:39:23 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:


There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?


According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."


The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.


--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-

  #7  
Old June 1st 09, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,751
Default Track changes: Moves: Major bug

Once something has been tracked as a Move, it cannot be rejected.
Selecting text that's green gives you the check and x for accept and
reject, but they have no effect; attempting to drag a double-
struckthrough passage simply gives the "This text is marked as
deleted" message.

The only way to undo a Move is via Undo -- and if some editing has
been done since the move, it of course all goes away, too.

I will therefore be unchecking "Keep track of moves" ...

On May 30, 11:31*pm, grammatim wrote:
If there were _no tracked changes_ in the moved sentence, it changes
to green in both places when it's pasted.

That's not useful!

On May 30, 11:19*pm, grammatim wrote:



I tried it with a paragraph. Not only did it wipe out the existing
Tracked Changes (simply presenting the final version as an insertion),
it treated it as deleted and inserted.


On May 30, 7:14*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:


On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:39:23 -0700 (PDT), grammatim
wrote:


There's an option under Track Changes to track "moves" (with double
underline/strikethrough in green). But when I move something, it
simply appears as a deletion and an insertion. What gives?


According tohttp://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2006/10/13/nice-m...,
"In Word 2007, Track Changes now includes 'move tracking'. If you cut a sentence
or more from one location and paste it to another, it is tracked as a move and
not as a deletion and insertion."


The criterion is apparently "one sentence or more". This seems to be open to
interpretation; for example, if I move a one-word heading including its
paragraph mark, that's tracked as a move.


--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Table Moves! Erin Microsoft Word Help 1 November 21st 08 08:00 PM
Cursor moves after alt-f9 BruceBrad Microsoft Word Help 5 May 20th 07 02:50 AM
Toolbar moves donna Microsoft Word Help 0 August 31st 06 04:34 PM
curser moves text Larry Microsoft Word Help 11 May 1st 05 10:03 PM
cursor moves oopstrinity Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 04 02:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.