Page Number Setting

Old June 29th 09, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF]

Default Page Number Setting

Hello Charles

Charles wrote:
I want to add paper number (p.1) starting from the actual page 5. From
Page 2-4, I will use Roman numeric (i, ii, iii). On Page 1, I won't
have page number at all cos' it's document cover.

the standard approach here is to start a new section on page 5. Page
numbering is a section property in Word, and each section can have a
different numbering format (roman/arabic), can start at any specific
value or continue the sequence from the preceding section.

Headers and footers are also a section property in Word. Setup your
first section to start page numbering at 1, choose roman format, and
then define "different first page" headers and footers. On the very
first page, you can then choose not to display page numbers at all.

The detailed steps to accomplish what you are asking are
version-specific (Word 2007 is different than the 4 versions before it).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Old June 29th 09, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Actually since you want the first numbered page -- which is actually
the second page -- to be i, you;ll need to set the page numbers to
start at 0 in Section 1.

On Jun 29, 10:49*am, "Robert M. Franz [RMF]"
wrote:
Hello Charles

Old June 30th 09, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF]

Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Actually since you want the first numbered page -- which is actually
the second page -- to be i, you;ll need to set the page numbers to
start at 0 in Section 1.

ahh, good catch. Problem is, this cannot be done with roman numerals in
Word.

So, to fulfill the OP's specifications, one would either need to
separate the first page into its own section, or leave the page numbers
in arabic and force them to roman with a formatting switch added to the
PAGE field.

The latter approach only makes sense if nothing in this roman section
has to be picked up in a TOC (because the TOC itself will show the
number in the same way that a "clean" PAGE field on the given page would).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Old June 30th 09, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Jun 30, 8:02*am, "Robert M. Franz [RMF]"
wrote:
Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Actually since you want the first numbered page -- which is actually
the second page -- to be i, you;ll need to set the page numbers to
start at 0 in Section 1.

ahh, good catch. Problem is, this cannot be done with roman numerals in
Word.

Well, that's dumb! I just checked it out ... you also can't start
numbering using Arabic letters with 0. (I didn't bother trying the
Hebrew letters option.)

So, to fulfill the OP's specifications, one would either need to
separate the first page into its own section, or leave the page numbers
in arabic and force them to roman with a formatting switch added to the
PAGE field.

New section. (Or make the title page a separate document.)

Old July 1st 09, 09:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF]

Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[..]
ahh, good catch. Problem is, this cannot be done with roman numerals in
Word.

Well, that's dumb! I just checked it out ... you also can't start
numbering using Arabic letters with 0. (I didn't bother trying the
Hebrew letters option.)

well, I can imagine why the developers force the minimum start at "1"
for roman numerals and for letters: there probably isn't a a "zero"
value for either.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Old July 1st 09, 02:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Jul 1, 4:18*am, "Robert M. Franz [RMF]"
wrote:
Hello Peter

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[..]

ahh, good catch. Problem is, this cannot be done with roman numerals in
Word.

Well, that's dumb! I just checked it out ... you also can't start
numbering using Arabic letters with 0. (I didn't bother trying the
Hebrew letters option.)

well, I can imagine why the developers force the minimum start at "1"
for roman numerals and for letters: there probably isn't a a "zero"
value for either.

Yabbut ... no one would want to have an actual number zero in roman
numerals (there's no such thing), but they might want to do exactly
what Charles wants to do!
Old July 1st 09, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The invention or discovery of zero was the concept that made arabic numerals
so vastly superior to roman and other numbering methods. No, of course there
is no representation for zero in roman numerals, much less in the alphabet.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote in message
Hello Peter

[..]

Old July 1st 09, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

But that doesn't mean there's no call for beginning pagination with
"zero" -- it seems they went out of their way to exclude that option
from cases like this.

Old July 2nd 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF]

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
But that doesn't mean there's no call for beginning pagination with
"zero" -- it seems they went out of their way to exclude that option
from cases like this.

I think that, for once, I prefer the current solution to a PAGE field
(or a TOC, for that) showing "NOT-A-NUMBER" or some such thing ... :-)

In the past, I would have liked to be able to start a roman numbered
page with zero, exactly for title pages. But since there isn't an
obvious way to solve the zero-letter problem, I don't think we can blame
the programmers (for once ;-)).

HTH
Robert
--