Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

Default Can't turn off Track Changes in Word 2007

I recently opened an older version document in Word 2007 (XP OS). Track
changes has been turned on. I want to turn off Track Changes but the Track
Changes button in my Word 2007 is a grayed out.

When I highlight the €śTrack Changes€ť down arrow, I get a message say
€śFunctionality is currently limited. This document has been opened in
Compatibility Mode. To take full advantage of this feature, convert your
document to a new file format€¦€ť

But I dont want to convert it. Ive worked on other older documents without
trouble. Why is this set of documents the exception?

Does anyone know a way I can avoid converting to 2007 and back again?

Thanks.

--
JohnTheTemp
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you maybe have things selected within Track Changes that the
earlier version can't handle, such as Keep Track of Moves?

On Jul 8, 5:46*pm, JohnTheTemp wrote:
I recently opened an older version document in Word 2007 (XP OS). Track
changes has been turned on. I want to turn off Track Changes but the Track
Changes button in my Word 2007 is a grayed out.

When I highlight the “Track Changes” down arrow, I get a message say
“Functionality is currently limited. This document has been opened in
Compatibility Mode. To take full advantage of this feature, convert your
document to a new file format…”

But I don’t want to convert it. I’ve worked on other older documents without
trouble. Why is this set of documents the exception?

Does anyone know a way I can avoid converting to 2007 and back again?

Thanks.

--
JohnTheTemp

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

No - "Keep tack of moves" is not even an option available in this document --
ie, it's grayed out.

Nothing has been done to the document. The first thing I do when it opens is
turn off Track Changes but that's grayed out too.

Puzzle is: I have other Word 2003 documents that don't give me this trouble.
So there's something about this set of documents. I've googled the internet
-- the problem isn't unique to me -- but there hasn't been a definitive
answer -- at none that works for me.

--
JohnTheTemp

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

It is tracking changes.

As for protection, Word 2007 is misleading in this situation. When I go into
"Protect Document" I see the "Unrestricted Access" checked. I assumed that
meant the protection wasn't turned on.

However, when I go into Review / Protect Document / Restrict Formatting and
Editing, it does appear to be protected -- worse -- password protected. I'm
going to have to see who has the password before I can find out for sure that
that's causing the problem with Track Changes.

Thanks for leading me thru this. I'll post when I find out if that solves my
problem or not.

--
JohnTheTemp

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may find that it's got the kind of protection that lets you edit
to your heart's content -- but won't let you save the changes.

What happens if you Copy the entire document (or the entire document
minus the final paragraph mark) and Paste it into a new document?

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

It _was_ protected. Word fooled be cuz I saw "Unrestricted Access" checked. I
mistakenly thought that tells me if protection turned on or not.

Someone else turned on protection on the entire set of documents. I didn't
learn about it until you had me check the protection status.

Thanks for your help.

--
JohnTheTemp

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp JohnTheTemp is offline

I should have noted that the other person had set "Editing Restrictions" to
"Track Changes" (Review / Protection / "Restrict Formatting and Editing").

--
JohnTheTemp