How do you type "x squared" as in mathematics using word?

Old July 10th 09, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Surfer

Default How do you type "x squared" as in mathematics using word?

Hello all. Pls help: is there anyone out there who can tell me how to type x
squared in the form of a mathematical equation, using MS Vista Word?
Thanks
Old July 10th 09, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard

G'Day Surfer,

You do not tell us what version of Word...

For now type (say) ax2+bx+c ...

Select the '2'.

FormatFont
__select 'Superscript' ... OK.

All done!

Be aware that Word has an excellent equation editor for more complex formulae.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

Old July 10th 09, 11:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Or, hold down the Alt key and type 0178 on the numeric keypad for ² or 0179
for ³. Type 0176 for °

To get a complete list of the symbols that can be created in this way, run a
macro containing the following code:

' Macro created 12-08-98 by Doug Robbins to list symbols that can be
inserted via Alt+keypad
'
ActiveDocument.Tables.Add Range:=Selection.Range, NumRows:=1,
NumColumns:=3
Selection.TypeText Text:="Alt + Numeric Keypad"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Selection.TypeText Text:="Normal Font"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Selection.TypeText Text:="Symbol Font"
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Symbol = 33
While Symbol 256
Selection.TypeText Text:="0" & LTrim$(Str$(Symbol))
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
With Selection
.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Normal",
Unicode:=False
End With
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
With Selection
.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Symbol",
Unicode:=False
End With
Symbol = Symbol + 1
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Old July 10th 09, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Doug suggests, there are font characters for superscript 2 and 3 (and
higher numbers in some fonts); for other numbers, select the number and
press Ctrl+Shift+= to apply the Superscript font property.

http://word.mvps.org