A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Word 2007 Search for multiple words in 1 document



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 5th 09, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tj7
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Word 2007 Search for multiple words in 1 document

Is there anyway to search for multiple words in Word even if only 1 of them
is present?

i.e. search for Dog or cat or pig or horse.
Ads
  #2  
Old August 6th 09, 05:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,312
Default Word 2007 Search for multiple words in 1 document

You can do so in an open document with a macro. What would you want to do
with the words having found them?

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org



tj7 wrote:
Is there anyway to search for multiple words in Word even if only 1
of them is present?

i.e. search for Dog or cat or pig or horse.



  #3  
Old August 7th 09, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tj7
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Word 2007 Search for multiple words in 1 document

I would just want them highlighted in some manner. Basically searching for a
few needles in a large haystack and they may or may not be there.
Thanks
TJ

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can do so in an open document with a macro. What would you want to do
with the words having found them?

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org



tj7 wrote:
Is there anyway to search for multiple words in Word even if only 1
of them is present?

i.e. search for Dog or cat or pig or horse.




  #4  
Old August 8th 09, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,312
Default Word 2007 Search for multiple words in 1 document

If by 'highlighting' you mean 'selecting' then it is only possible to do so
one at a time.

Sub FindWords()
Dim vFindText
Dim r As Range
Dim i As Long
vFindText = Array("dog", "cat", "pig", "horse")
For i = 0 To UBound(vFindText)
Set r = ActiveDocument.Range
With r.Find
.Text = vFindText(i)
Do While .Execute(Forward:=True) = True
r.Select
MsgBox r
Loop
End With
Next
End Sub

If however you mean highlighting as in adding a coloured background, then
that is easy enough to achieve using a macro

Sub HiLightList()
Dim vFindText
Dim r As Range
Dim i As Long
vFindText = Array("dog", "cat", "pig", "horse")
For i = 0 To UBound(vFindText)
Set r = ActiveDocument.Range
With r.Find
.Text = vFindText(i)
Do While .Execute(Forward:=True) = True
r.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
Loop
End With
Next
End Sub

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org




tj7 wrote:
I would just want them highlighted in some manner. Basically
searching for a few needles in a large haystack and they may or may
not be there.
Thanks
TJ

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You can do so in an open document with a macro. What would you want
to do with the words having found them?

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org



tj7 wrote:
Is there anyway to search for multiple words in Word even if only 1
of them is present?

i.e. search for Dog or cat or pig or horse.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i search for exact words in multiple documents Summertime Microsoft Word Help 1 February 5th 09 10:08 PM
How to search for duplicate words in the same document SAM049 Microsoft Word Help 6 November 9th 08 02:36 AM
Search for multiple words in document RuneScape_Slayer85 Microsoft Word Help 2 March 20th 07 05:17 PM
How do i search for multiple words in a word document? ewar2002 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 22nd 07 01:28 PM
Can I search for words in multiple Word documents using OR? Lynn Microsoft Word Help 4 April 5th 06 05:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.