Word Compatibility Pack not working

Old August 10th 09, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom B

Default Word Compatibility Pack not working

Microsoft instructions say:

"To open Microsoft Office Word 2007 .docx or .docm files with Microsoft
Office Word 2003, Word 2002, or Word 2000, you need to install the Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint File
Formats and any necessary Office updates. By using the Compatibility Pack for
the 2007 Office system, you can open, edit some items, and save Office Word
2007 documents in previous versions of Word."

"With the Compatibility Pack, you can use some previous versions of Word to
open Office Word 2007 documents that were saved in .docx and .docm formats.
You cannot open Office Word 2007 template files that were saved in .dotx or
..dotm format."

This is from:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...444731033.aspx

I have Word 2002 and XP-Pro. All the MS instructions were followed, but
this is not working.

On proceeding to open a .docx file, the Microsoft error message says:

"This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open
pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version
of the Compatibility pack?

On selecting "OK" I am sent to this web page:

After downloading this and following all the Microsoft instructions, I
proceed to open the .docx file again. This returned the same error message.

"This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open
pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version
of the Compatibility pack?"

It seems incorrect error messages and bugs have made us work for hours with
no result. I just want this to work like it says in the first 2 paragraphs
above. I'm seeing reports that others have had hours of difficulty with
..docx files.

Old August 11th 09, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926054

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old November 2nd 09, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom B

Instructions at the link here involve a file " Office2007Converters.adm "
It is not listed in the window this opens. I searched my system for it, but
it's not anywhere on the system. Where can I get Office2007Converters.adm ?

I have MS Word 2002, SP3, and am following Microsoft's instructions for it
to be use with .docx files.

Old November 28th 09, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MDeB

I was plagued with this problem under Vista. I just upgraded to Windows 7
(Home Premium) and uninstalled the compatibility pack, downloaded it again
from Microsoft, and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix it! I can now read
docx files in Office XP (just as I used to be able to under Windows XP). The
files are a bit slow to convert, but they do open.