How can I print white text on a black page?

Old August 31st 09, 10:52 PM
dalgo dalgo is offline

Default How can I print white text on a black page?

Word 2000. I want to print captions for a photo album which has black pages. I can get close to what I want using Format/Background- black and a white Font colour but when I look at print layout view or print preview it has reverted back to a white background. Would this be the best way to do it anyway (would use a lot of black ink?). Any Suggestions?
Old September 1st 09, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:52:51 +0100, dalgo
wrote:

Word 2000. I want to print captions for a photo album which has black
pages. I can get close to what I want using Format/Background- black
and a white Font colour but when I look at print layout view or print
preview it has reverted back to a white background. Would this be the
best way to do it anyway (would use a lot of black ink?). Any
Suggestions?

I don't have Word 2000 handy to check, but in later versions there are
two options (in the Tools Options dialog) that you need to set:

- On the View tab, check "Background colors and images" to be able to
see the background on the screen.

- On the Print tab, check "Background colors and images" to print the
background on paper.

Since the album pages are already black, you can't print directly onto
those pages. Word prints "white on black" by printing black ink around
the letters and letting white paper show through. I'd suggest printing
your captions onto labels, which you would stick onto the album pages.
That would also use a lot less ink.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old September 1st 09, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay has given you a good rundown on the options. Here's one mo some
inkjet printers do permit a white, gold, or silver ink cartridge to be
substituted for the black cartridge. If you are lucky enough to have one of
those printers, get a white cartridge and insert it, then format the text as
black, and it will print white. You'll probably want to make it Bold (and
fairly large) so it will be legible.

http://word.mvps.org

Old September 1st 09, 01:43 PM
dalgo dalgo is offline

Thanks for your help. Word 2000 apparantly handles this a bit differently (using Borders and Shading) but knowing it could be done encouraged me to dig a bit deeper and I have it working now.

The labels are a good idea too.