Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad H Brad H is offline

Default header/footer missing/hidden in Word 2003

I have a user that is not able to view the header/footers in any documents
anymore. When I open the file(s) on my computer or any other computer, I can
see the headers just fine. When she prints the document(s) the header and
footer are there, I just can't see it on the screen. When I go to View --
Headers and Footers on her machine the dashed dialog box does show up, but
there is nothing in it. I can type stuff and it does show up when I print on
top of the original header/footer. Below are the only 2 solutions I have run
across in my search and neither one of them works. Both of these items are
checked on my computer and hers. Yes I did restart the computer and it
didn't help. Does this have something to do with the normal.dot?

Tools -- Options -- View Tab -- white space between pages box.

File -- Page setup -- Different first page box.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad H[_2_] Brad H[_2_] is offline

I found out the user had a small problem with her email shortly prior to the
header/footer problem. When opening an outlook 2003 email, the Reply toolbar
was missing from the top of the email. So to turn that on she did View --
Toolbars -- Standard and it showed up again. So we turned it off and then
on again. Just for grins I also went and unchecked and rechecked Tools --
Options -- Mail format tab -- Use microsoft office word 2003 to edit email.
It appears one of those solved the problem. I can't recreate the problem
and that bothers me but for now this problem is solved.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried repairing your installation of Word/Office?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Brad H" Brad wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hmm, I can't say that I understand what might have happened, either...

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted, and thank you for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP