Draw a Double Line in Word 2007?

Old September 18th 09, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan

Default Draw a Double Line in Word 2007?

I've pulled my hair out many times trying to use this pos Office 2007. One
of the annoyances was trying to draw a double line.

I draw a line, right-click, select Format Autoshape, then try to change the
Style to a double-line, but it's greyed out.

Any ideas?

And if you'll allow me to rant a little bit, I just want to use Word... this
new interface is tedious and time consuming. I don't want to fart around
with a ribbon, just give me a menu bar.

Ryan
Old September 18th 09, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Ryan,

For whatever reason the developers of Word2007 did not see a need for fancy
line segments. You are right that option is not available for line segments
drawn with Word2007. I believe this issue has been reported to MS. Who
knows, it may be restored with Word2010.

All is not lost if you still have access to Word 2003 (or even a Word 2003
document containing a line segment). Line segments created in a Word2003
document and cut/pasted to a Word2007 document can still be modified using
the Style window (weird yes).

If you use lines often, you could save a Word2003 line as a QuickPart.
Insert it where you want and then format it like you did in Word2003.

I can send you a Word2003 document containing a line segment if you need it.

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows
the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a
worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high
achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." - TR

Old September 18th 09, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, the Line Style option for drawing lines was removed from Word
2007.

http://word.mvps.org

Old September 18th 09, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Ms. Barnhill,

Actually the option is disabled for line segments drawn with Word2007. The
option is still available and enabled for line segments drawn with Word2003.

Old September 18th 09, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, that's good news, at least for those of us still running Word 2003 and
2007 side by side.

http://word.mvps.org

Old September 18th 09, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Take a look at my reply to Ryan. If you use fancy line segments you can put
together a crude work around as long as you have access to a Word2003

Old September 19th 09, 12:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg

I found out that even if the four double/tripple line styles known from
previous Word versions are not available in the user interface in Word 2007,
you have access to the line styles via VBA – and this means that you can use
a macro to apply a double/tripple line style. As Greg said, once you have
such line in a Word 2007 document, you can change the line style of that line
to one of the other double/tripple line styles via the Format AutoShape
dialog box.

The macro below creates a 5 cm long horizontal line and applies the “two
thin lines” line style (the remaining line styles are listed below the
macro). For further details, see the comments in the macro.

--------------------
Sub AddLineShape_DoubleLineStyle()

Dim oShape As Shape
Dim nStartHor As Single
Dim nStartVer As Single

'Find the point where the top and left margins intersect
'Use this point as the starting point for the line
nStartHor = ActiveDocument.PageSetup.LeftMargin
nStartVer = ActiveDocument.PageSetup.TopMargin

With ActiveDocument
'Create a vertical line, length 5 cm
Set oShape = .Shapes.AddLine(nStartHor, nStartVer, nStartHor +
CentimetersToPoints(5), nStartVer)
With oShape
.Line.Style = msoLineThinThin
.Line.Weight = 3
End With
End With

'Clean up
Set oShape = Nothing
End Sub

--------------------
To apply one of the other double (or tripple) line styles, replace the code
lines:

.Line.Style = msoLineThinThin
.Line.Weight = 3

with the appropriate set of lines below:

.Line.Style = msoLineThinThick
.Line.Weight = 4.5

or

.Line.Style = msoLineThickThin
.Line.Weight = 4.5

or

.Line.Style = msoLineThickBetweenThin
.Line.Weight = 4.5

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

Old September 19th 09, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan

Thank you for the prompt, though unsatisfying response.

I was able to use the workaround you suggested.

Old September 19th 09, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan

Assuming the ability to create buttons tied to a macro hasn't been taken
away, I might just do this. Thank you.