Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hallsjo Hallsjo is offline

Default Why do headings not appear in Cross-reference dialogue?

Based on Word's built in heading styles I have created unnumbered heading
styles. These do not appear in the Cross-reference dialogue (Reference type:
Heading). I check other posts in the forum, as well as the documentation, and
they tell me that the prerequisite for a heading to appear in the
Cross-reference dialogue, is that the style of the heading is based on
"Word's outline levels or Heading 1, 2 or 3 styles". When I check the
paragraph formatting for the styles, an Outline level is specified. What
other things might keep Word from letting me cross-reference these headings?
We use Word 2007 in templates lifted from Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Cross-reference dialog box, if you pick "Heading" for "Reference
type," only Word's *built-in* headings will appear. (If you had numbered
your custom headings, they would be available in the "Numbered item"
category, along with any numbered paragraphs, including built-in headings.)

In this case, you will have to manually bookmark your headings and then
insert cross-references to the bookmarks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hallsjo" wrote in message
Based on Word's built in heading styles I have created unnumbered heading
styles. These do not appear in the Cross-reference dialogue (Reference
type:
Heading). I check other posts in the forum, as well as the documentation,
and
they tell me that the prerequisite for a heading to appear in the
Cross-reference dialogue, is that the style of the heading is based on
"Word's outline levels or Heading 1, 2 or 3 styles". When I check the
paragraph formatting for the styles, an Outline level is specified. What
other things might keep Word from letting me cross-reference these
headings?
We use Word 2007 in templates lifted from Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hallsjo Hallsjo is offline

OK, thanks for the rapid response. I guess it's time to reevaluate the styles
in our templates. Too bad one must adjust reality to the map, and not the
other way around.

"Hallsjo" wrote in message
Based on Word's built in heading styles I have created unnumbered heading
styles. These do not appear in the Cross-reference dialogue (Reference
type:
Heading). I check other posts in the forum, as well as the documentation,
and
they tell me that the prerequisite for a heading to appear in the
Cross-reference dialogue, is that the style of the heading is based on
"Word's outline levels or Heading 1, 2 or 3 styles". When I check the
paragraph formatting for the styles, an Outline level is specified. What
other things might keep Word from letting me cross-reference these
headings?
We use Word 2007 in templates lifted from Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that you can customize the built-in headings to suit your needs, so it
really isn't a problem to use them.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hallsjo" wrote in message
Based on Word's built in heading styles I have created unnumbered
heading
styles. These do not appear in the Cross-reference dialogue (Reference
type:
Heading). I check other posts in the forum, as well as the
documentation,
and
they tell me that the prerequisite for a heading to appear in the
Cross-reference dialogue, is that the style of the heading is based on
"Word's outline levels or Heading 1, 2 or 3 styles". When I check the
paragraph formatting for the styles, an Outline level is specified.
What
other things might keep Word from letting me cross-reference these
headings?
We use Word 2007 in templates lifted from Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hallsjo Hallsjo is offline

In this case I want to give the readers the option to use either heading 4
and heading 5 with or without numbering (Heading 4 and Heading 4 unnum
respectively) in the same template. But in my case, I'd have to create 2
separate templates; one with H4 and H5 with numbering, and one where H4 and
H5 are unnumbered. Right?

"Hallsjo" wrote in message
Based on Word's built in heading styles I have created unnumbered
heading
styles. These do not appear in the Cross-reference dialogue (Reference
type:
Heading). I check other posts in the forum, as well as the
documentation,
and
they tell me that the prerequisite for a heading to appear in the
Cross-reference dialogue, is that the style of the heading is based on
"Word's outline levels or Heading 1, 2 or 3 styles". When I check the
paragraph formatting for the styles, an Outline level is specified.
What
other things might keep Word from letting me cross-reference these
headings?
We use Word 2007 in templates lifted from Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I'd use separate templates for the scenario you just described.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hallsjo" wrote in message
[...]