In mail merge, unwanted line spaces in the address block

Old October 12th 09, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RedCharla

Default In mail merge, unwanted line spaces in the address block

When I do a Mail Merge, the address block gives me double spaces. How do I
get a single space? I have tried Help but see nothing regarding this!
Old October 13th 09, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Make sure that the paragraph containing the ADDRESSBLOCK field
a. is not formatted as double-spaced
b. is not formatted using a style that is double-spaced

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Old October 13th 09, 09:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Or, instead of using the Address Block, just insert the individual
mergefields in the configuration that you require.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Old October 16th 09, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marie

If you are using Word 2007, make sure you are in the preview labels screen.
Go to the Home Tab. On the right of the ribbon, choose Select, then Select
all. All the labels should be highlighted. Then go to Paragraph in the
lower middle of the ribbon. Click the middle square with the little up and
down arrows. Select Remove space before paragraph. This should remove that
space on all the addresses.

Old October 24th 09, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
spence

I have the same problem. None of your suggestions helped. Word 2007 seems to
only print AddressBlock in single space if you use a template. If you use
Mail Merge with current document, and then insert AddressBlock, it always
comes up double spaced. It does not matter weather the paragraph AddressBlock
was inserted to is single or double spaced. This is quite frustrating because
I don't always want to have to use MS templates.

Old October 25th 09, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Word 2007 labels (as with all Word version labels) are table cells. Table
cells are by default formatted with the normal style, which in Word 2007 has
different standard paragraph format settings from earlier versions. You
should be able to correct what you are seeing by using the Word 2003 style
set - or simply apply an unspaced style to your table.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

..

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or, instead of using the Address Block, just insert the individual
mergefields in the configuration that you require.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Old February 24th 10, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anneli

Try selecting "Address Block" and going to Format and selecting
"Paragraph". On the "Indents and Spacing" tab, set "Before" and "After"
spacing to 0 pt, and choose "Single" line spacing.

Old January 24th 12, 10:48 PM
Lisa Mayberry Wright Lisa Mayberry Wright is offline

Originally Posted by RedCharla View Post
When I do a Mail Merge, the address block gives me double spaces. How do I
get a single space? I have tried Help but see nothing regarding this!
My colleague and I were having trouble with this too. It took me about an hour to figure it out. I work on a MacIntosh, and this is what worked for us:

If it won't single space, HIGHLIGHT label or doc, go to FORMAT then PARAGRAPH and set spacing Before and After at zero and Single; go to Line Breaks and check the box next to "Keep Lines Together" have that be the ONLY box checked, hit okay.

I hope this helps someone!!! Let me know!

Lisa
Old February 12th 12, 05:33 PM
chipp2shore chipp2shore is offline

Location: St Pete, Florida

Anneli has it right. Just to explain in stages If you are using Word 2007 / 2010 and don't want any added spacing in your addresss labels, you will need to do the following: Start the mail merge, after inserting the mergefield(s) with chevrons at each end e.g. ((ADDRESS)), select these mergefield(s), Go to the HOME tab, click on the button by the word 'paragraph' with the up/down arrows and remove any spacing before and after paragraphs and check to see if the spacing is set to 1. Then go back to Mailings and continue with 'Update Labels' in the mail merge.
This will solve the spacing problem.
Chris D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCharla View Post
When I do a Mail Merge, the address block gives me double spaces. How do I
get a single space? I have tried Help but see nothing regarding this!

Last edited by chipp2shore : March 8th 12 at 04:49 PM. Reason: More info.