Word 2007 Symbol Pallette and Mathtype 6.0 symbols

Old October 21st 09, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Default Word 2007 Symbol Pallette and Mathtype 6.0 symbols

My Problem:

I have Mathtype 6.0 and Office 2007 on both my home and work computers. At
home, I insert a Mathtype symbol in a Word document, and that symbol -- which
was not originally in the Word Symbol palette -- now shows up in the Word
symbol palette for future use. When I print out the document at home, all
this works well.

On my work computer, this does not seem to work. I saved the file to my
work computer, to print out here at work. All the original Mathtype symbols
that were inserted at home using the symbol pallete, now have been replaced
by incorrect symbols.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg
Old October 22nd 09, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews

I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening. I'll try to
re-state your problem; please let me know if I've misunderstood
anything (BTW, thanks for identifying the versions of MathType and
Word you're using; that's helpful):

1. You have MathType 6 and Office 2007 installed both at home and at
the office.

2. At home you use MathType to insert a symbol (not really sure what
you mean by "insert a MathType symbol").

3. Now the symbol is in your Word 2007 document, but it's not a symbol
of text. It's a MathType object (meaning that if you double-click it,
MathType opens).

4. After you put the MathType symbol into your document, you can click
the Symbol arrow on Word's Insert tab, and the symbol you just
inserted with MathType will be there in the list of symbols.

5. If you try this at the office, the symbol inserts correctly with
MathType, but appears incorrectly in the symbol listing, and on the
printout.

Even if I've misunderstood part or all of your problem, the problem
almost certainly is caused by a font either missing or replaced on
your office computer. Most often when this happens, it's MathType's
"MT Extra" font that's the culprit. Both Word and MathType have
versions of this font. It's possible to have more than one physically
located in your fonts folder, but Windows will only recognize the most
recent one installed -- not the largest, or the one with the latest
creation date. There are sometimes updates to Office that cause this
font to be replaced. Open your fonts folder, find MT Extra, select it
and delete it. Close the fonts folder and re-open it (refreshing it
won't do). If MT Extra still appears, delete it again. Continue this
until there is no longer an MT Extra font in your fonts folder, then
drag MT Extra from the MathType TrueType fonts folder (default
location: C:\Program Files\MathType\Fonts\TrueType). The name of the
font file is mtextra.ttf.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Old October 27th 09, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. I did what you suggested -- deleting the font file
from Windows and pasting the one from mathtype back into Windows.

One thing I noticed is that they were both the same date -- 8/12/2004, so I
am assuming they were the same font file.

In any case, the problem was not corrected. Some symbols are still being
replaced by strange symbols.

Greg