.docx file icons missing.

Old October 23rd 09, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Imani

Default .docx file icons missing.

The usual .docx icon for Word 2007 files has been replaced by a generic
blank page icon with the Word icon in its center. The file still opens
correctly, but it nags me not knowing what caused this.

I've tried a system restore and even letting Windows rebuild the icon cache.
The icon for Word 2003 .doc files is normal and all other Office 2007 files
seem to have the correct icons as well.

Windows Vista SP2
Office Word 2007
Old October 23rd 09, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:45:01 -0700, Imani
wrote:

The usual .docx icon for Word 2007 files has been replaced by a generic
blank page icon with the Word icon in its center. The file still opens
correctly, but it nags me not knowing what caused this.

I've tried a system restore and even letting Windows rebuild the icon cache.
The icon for Word 2003 .doc files is normal and all other Office 2007 files
seem to have the correct icons as well.

Windows Vista SP2
Office Word 2007

You could try running a repair of the Office installation from the
Control Panel Programs and Features dialog.

It sounds like the problem is a bad or missing value in the registry
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Word.Document. 12\DefaultIcon.
The repair should put the right value back in.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old October 23rd 09, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Imani

I've actually also tried that. Nothing changed unfortunately. Is there a way
to manually do what the repair should've ? I've just checked, the value you
mentioned seems to be missing completely.
Old October 23rd 09, 12:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 02:51:01 -0700, Imani
wrote:

I've actually also tried that. Nothing changed unfortunately. Is there a way
to manually do what the repair should've ? I've just checked, the value you
mentioned seems to be missing completely.

You can create the proper value by hand. The trouble is that you won't
know what else might be missing.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Word.Document. 12, if the
DefaultIcon key doesn't exist, create it.

Within the DefaultIcon key, double-click the (Default) entry on the
right side and enter the value

C:\Windows\Installer\{91120000-002E-0000-0000-000000FF1CE}\wordicon.exe,13

Note that you should also have a similar value under the
Word.Document.8 key, except that the number at the end of the value is
1 instead of 13.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old October 23rd 09, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Imani

Mistake on my part, the value is there, so i'm guessing it could be bad. I
tried the repair again, still no difference.
Old November 26th 09, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwagner15

I'm having the exact same problem. I looked up the Registry and I also have
the value correct. Must be something else. All the Word 2003 icons show up
ok. It's just the .docx. It looks like everything else in Office 2007 works
right. Even the Word Template files (.dotx).