Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Nemtsev Michael Nemtsev is offline

Default QuickParts can't reference the custom document property

Hello,

I'm using QuickParts and would like to reference the custom document
property inside my Word Document.

But quickPart can see only standard properties as Author, Title and etc, but
not the custom I have.

The question is why the quickPart can't see custom document properties?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:02:01 -0700, Michael Nemtsev
wrote:

Hello,

I'm using QuickParts and would like to reference the custom document
property inside my Word Document.

But quickPart can see only standard properties as Author, Title and etc, but
not the custom I have.

The question is why the quickPart can't see custom document properties?!

The list on the Quick Parts button only shows the built-in properties;
it just wasn't programmed to take account of the custom ones, and you
can't make it do that.

Greg Maxey has an add-in that will help you attach ("map") content
controls to custom document properties. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mapped_Content_Control.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Micheal/Jay,

While you can use the Add-In I produce to map contrent controls to xml in
the custom data store, it does not include a feature to map to custom
document properties.

For whatever reason (and I don't know if it is still so in Word2010), MS
choose not to include the custom.xml file that holds custom document
properties in the collection of customXMLParts. A rather lengthy discussion
on this is, and a work around that I proved once is, contained he

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ontent+control

Michael Nemtsev wrote:
Hello,

I'm using QuickParts and would like to reference the custom document
property inside my Word Document.

But quickPart can see only standard properties as Author, Title and
etc, but not the custom I have.

The question is why the quickPart can't see custom document
properties?!

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Errata,

The discussion linked "does not" show a work around or a method of mapping
CCs to custom document properties. It shows a way to access the cusotm.xml
file that is created in the Open Office XML format file when a custom
document property is created.

Just having acess isn't really good enough. It doesn't make that file a
customXMLpart whereby two way mapping could occur. I suppose with enough
effort you could:

1. Access the file.
2. Create a customXMLpart using its content.
3. Map a CC to that customXMLpart
4. Use the CCAfterUpdate event to replace the custom.xml file with the
content oc the customXMLpart.

That would mimic one way mapping, but nothing there to reflect changes made
to the property value using the dialog.

I just don't see a way and still don't understand why MS doesnt' make the
custom.xml file a part of the customXMLparts collection.

Michael Nemtsev wrote:
Hello,

I'm using QuickParts and would like to reference the custom document
property inside my Word Document.

But quickPart can see only standard properties as Author, Title and
etc, but not the custom I have.

The question is why the quickPart can't see custom document
properties?!

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

Raskol Raskol is offline
Junior Member

I know its an old post but I was looking around to see how to do it so here's what I ended up doing...

After having created your custom document property, insert the document property into the document, highlight and save into quick part gallery.

Click 'Insert' Tab, 'Quick Parts' and then 'Field...'
Select 'DocProperty' from the field names, then select your custom property on the right, then click OK.

Highlight the item that you just inserted and select 'Quick Parts' again, then this time select 'Save selection to Quick Part Gallery'.

That's it. you know have a Quick Part of your custom Document property, it automatically updates when the property changes.