Cross reference full context not working

Old November 4th 09, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charlie Thibault

Default Cross reference full context not working

I have a document with lettered sections, A, B... (Heading 1) and numbered
subsections 1, 2.4... (Heading 2, etc). When I insert a cross reference with
full context I always get section A regardles of where the reference is. e.g
if I insert a reference to section C.2.5 it displays A.2.5. Ctrl-clicking on
the reference takes me to the right place. It is as though Heading 1 got
disconnected from Heading 2, 3, etc. Any way to "re-connect" them? Or any
other ideas of what I can try?

Thanks,
--
Charlie
Old November 5th 09, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Do the outline numbers show up correctly for the headings?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Charlie Thibault" wrote in
message ...

Old November 6th 09, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charlie Thibault

I solved the problem by reading the file into Word 2000, modifying the style
of the Heading 1 to link to the rest of the multilayer list, saving it, and
reading it back into Work 2007. I can't believe there isn't a way to do it in
Word 2007, but I spent 2 days trying to figure it out and solved it in 5
minutes in Word 2000. Is that Microsoft's definition of progress?

Does anyone know how to do this in Word 2007?

Thanks,
--
Charlie

Old November 6th 09, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

To modify an existing outline-numbered list in Word 2007: Place the insertion
point in the first level 1 paragraph of the list (for heading numbering, this
means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document). On the Home tab, click
Multilevel List, and then click Define New Multilevel List. Word displays a
dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word
97-2003 (and you may still find the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html useful). Use
the dialog box to change any aspects of numbering; note that you probably
have to click the More button to see all options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old November 9th 09, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charlie Thibault

Thanks, that works great. I never tried clicking on the Define New Multilevel
List option, because I just wanted to modify an existing one.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the old 2003 GUI better. It was much easier
to find what I needed. Oh well that's progress (Microsoft style).

Thanks again.
--
Charlie

Old November 10th 09, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

I'm glad I could help.

I agree that "Define New Multilevel List" is misleading. "Customize
Multilevel List" would have been more appropriate. And, yes, numbering *was*
easier to deal with in Word 2003.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Charlie Thibault" wrote:

Thanks, that works great. I never tried clicking on the Define New Multilevel
List option, because I just wanted to modify an existing one.