How do I get rid of strange special characters?

Old January 27th 10, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
forever_newbie

Default How do I get rid of strange special characters?

I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
field. So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes (sql
server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text field).
What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you would
expect (in Word). When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you get a
reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe. Since I didn't notice
this, I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and now
my sql database is full of these characters. I have to get rid of them, so
the question is - what are they?
Thanks,

Old February 1st 10, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FOREVER_NEWBIE

No, its not a grave accent. Try it yourself - create a word such as
Mary's and then do a search/replace of the apostrophe by 2
apostrophes. At least in Word 2000, it creates 2 characters, and
neither of them are a grave character.
-- Thanks

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Old February 1st 10, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would expect an opening single quote in this context.

http://word.mvps.org

"FOREVER_NEWBIE" wrote in message
No, its not a grave accent. Try it yourself - create a word such as
Mary's and then do a search/replace of the apostrophe by 2
apostrophes. At least in Word 2000, it creates 2 characters, and
neither of them are a grave character.
-- Thanks

On Jan 27, 6:05 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"forever_newbie" wrote in
message