Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mel Mel is offline

Default Apparent Error in line spacing

Help. After a year of being able to type documents with my Word, suddenly it
is automatically double spacing. I checked the format and it is set on single
space. The only way I can get the document to single space is to keep typing
to the end of the line, then it wraps around in single space format. But to
type a letter with address heading or anything else that I need to hit enter
and return to another line before reaching the end of the right margin, it
double spaces. I have not been able to write any letters.
Mel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you hit Enter at the end of the line, you are creating a new
paragraph. The spacing between paragraphs is not controlled by the
"line spacing" but instead by the Space Before and/or Space After
setting in the Format Paragraph dialog. If you don't want any space
between paragraphs, set both of those to zero. Most likely it's part
of the definition of the style (maybe the Normal style) applied to
that text, so see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 06:06:01 -0800, Mel wrote:

Help. After a year of being able to type documents with my Word, suddenly it
is automatically double spacing. I checked the format and it is set on single
space. The only way I can get the document to single space is to keep typing
to the end of the line, then it wraps around in single space format. But to
type a letter with address heading or anything else that I need to hit enter
and return to another line before reaching the end of the right margin, it
double spaces. I have not been able to write any letters.
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To add to what Jay has said, even if you do have space between paragraphs,
you can use a line break (Shift+Enter) to start a new line without starting
a new paragraph. This is the suitable solution for, say, verses of poetry
within a stanza.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mel Mel is offline

I am thrilled with both your comments and my problem is fixed. I have just
discovered this community source today. Thank you both for coming to my
rescue. Much appreciated.
--
Mel

.