Word to HTML for Craigslist ad

Old February 22nd 10, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam

Default Word to HTML for Craigslist ad

I need to write a few ads for Craigslist. If I write them in Word and
paste them into the ad, much of the formatting is lost. If I use Word
just for the text and manually code the html tags, the document is
pretty much unreadable.

I see that there are a number of tools that will convert a Word
document to html. Can anyone recommend one over the others?

All I need is simple tags for an ad: bold, italics, underline, head1
and head2, and lists (mostly unordered).

It doesn't need to be free.
Old February 22nd 10, 09:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt

Just use the 'Other Formats' option from the 'Save As' menu in Word and
select 'Webpage, Filtered', as your type. That should keep things like bold,
italics, ...

Yves

Old February 22nd 10, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:39:06 +0100, "Yves Dhondt"
wrote:

Just use the 'Other Formats' option from the 'Save As' menu in Word and
select 'Webpage, Filtered', as your type. That should keep things like bold,
italics, ...

When I did that, I got a new document with filetype .htm that looks
like the original .docx document. I don't see any html markup.

What I need is a text document with html markup that I can paste into
the Craigslist ad.

Is there a way to get the markup?
Old February 22nd 10, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt

Open the .htm file from within Notepad or Wordpad, that should give you the
html source. Alternatively, open the htm file in your favourite browser and
look for the 'Show source' function that almost every browser has.

Old February 23rd 10, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:24:20 +0100, "Yves Dhondt"
wrote:

Open the .htm file from within Notepad or Wordpad, that should give you the
html source. Alternatively, open the htm file in your favourite browser and
look for the 'Show source' function that almost every browser has.

OK. That worked, sort of. The source code has a lot of stuff in there.
After it was processed by Craig's List, it mostly looked good. Some of
the bulleted lists were a little off.

There are a lot of websites selling utilities to "clean up" the html
output from Word. The general feeling seems to be that Word does not
get html and really doesn't care. They want you to buy Front Page.

I found a website that does the conversion online:

http://word2cleanhtml.com/

I tried the same document there. It came out a lot simpler and the
formatted ad after processing by Craig's List looked a lot better.

Old February 23rd 10, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt

If you save as "Web Page, Filtered" the resulting code is cleaned up pretty
good. But you have to realize that Word was never made to create webpages in
the first place, there exist other programs for that.

FrontPage doesn't exist anymore, so it seems unlikely that they want you to
buy it. FrontPage has been replaced by several other tools from Microsoft
depending on what you want to do. For creating ordinary webpages, try Visual
Web Developer
(http://www.microsoft.com/express/dow...Web-Developer). It
is a free website creator from Microsoft. The only limitation is that you
can't use it for commercial purposes.

wrote:

[...]

How to create bookmarks that export to HTML with "Save As ... HTML Warped Time Microsoft Word Help 0 September 15th 09 03:59 PM
How to reply to items on sale from craigslist.org ColoTCal Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 07 05:39 AM
HTML - Word Lubomir Soukup Page Layout 2 May 1st 06 06:19 PM
Word HTML Dig Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 06 06:32 PM
Word to HTML? April Microsoft Word Help 1 January 25th 06 01:18 PM