How do I create a label macro for "bates numbering" documents

Old April 6th 10, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mascottex

Default How do I create a label macro for "bates numbering" documents

Work at a law office and we are looking for a way to create a label macro
that will allow us to identify and number legal documents for attaching to
discovery documents. In the "old" days a Bates stamping device was used but
we know of a form that was created in WordPerfect so I am hoping one can be
created in Word.
Old April 6th 10, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old April 6th 10, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, that numbers documents. Bates stamping is used the number the pages of
documents.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Old April 7th 10, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

A Bates stamp will number anything you hit with it. I page-numbered
many 1000+ page manuscripts that way. But...

From the statement that this was to "identify and number legal
documents" I gathered that it was being used to put one number on each
document. Maybe mascottex will come back and explain further.

Old April 7th 10, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In my work I deal with references to a lot of "Bates-stamped" documents; the
formatting of the numbering can be wildly original, but in general a set of
documents is numbered sequentially, each page getting a different number and
each number uniquely identifying a given page (the numbers aren't repeated).
It appears that the more tenuous a case they have, the more attorneys try to
overwhelm the other side with documents during discovery.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
A Bates stamp will number anything you hit with it. I page-numbered
many 1000+ page manuscripts that way. But...

From the statement that this was to "identify and number legal
documents" I gathered that it was being used to put one number on each
document. Maybe mascottex will come back and explain further.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:12:04 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

No, that numbers documents. Bates stamping is used to number the pages of
documents.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
.. .