"Margins outside printable area" error message

Old April 12th 10, 01:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PRR

Default "Margins outside printable area" error message

Occasionally when I remove the margins in Word 2003 (actually, just
set the margins to 0), and then print, I get an error message to the
effect that "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable
page." I've never had a problem with any of these documents, so this
error message is just a nuisance. Is there any way to disable it?
Also, is there a good reason why I should NOT disable this message,
even if I can?
Old April 12th 10, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Word bases its page layout on what the current printer driver tells
it. Almost all printers reserve an unprintable area at the edges, and
Word obeys that. Most of the time, if you override the warning and
print with zero margins, the printer driver will just ignore any text
or image that falls into the unprintable area. Some drivers may take
other actions, such as shrinking the whole page to fit or (in extreme
cases) causing a blue-screen crash. It seems your driver is one of the
more lenient ones.

To suppress the message, you need to set up a couple of macros. See
Lene Fredborg's answer at
http://help.lockergnome.com/office/S...ict913810.html
for the code, and http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if
needed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old April 12th 10, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PRR

Once again you've come through, Jay.

The macro (in the first link you provided) doesn't remove or over-ride
any permanent settings--it just allows you to over-ride the warning
termporarily, for the current print job. I assiged it an icon right
next to my other print icons on my toolbar and its working like a
gem.

Lene Fredborg's answer athttp://help.lockergnome.com/office/Suppress-printable-area-warning-pr...
for the code, andhttp://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htmif
needed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Old October 27th 10, 04:11 PM
Chris Wool Chris Wool is offline

Thank you for providing info on this problem. Unfortunately the link for Lene Fredborg's macro is broken/unavailable. Is there another way I can find this macro? Thanks so much for any help with this.

Best,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post

Old October 27th 10, 06:23 PM
Chris Wool Chris Wool is offline

Okay--found a link to the thread.

http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89336

Lene Fredborg's original macro post is he

Lene Fredborg

How do I suppress the 'print outside margins' error?

You need a macro to prevent the warning. When you have Word, I am quite sure
you also have VBA - it is included. See the links at the end of this post for
help on installing macros.

If you install one of the macros below, you can use that macro when you
print documents like the one you describe and use the standard Print command
for "normal" documents.

Two different macro versions are included below. Both macro versions
suppress the margins warning. If you add one of the macros to your
Normal.dot, you can use that macro for printing your special documents. You
could assign a keyboard shortcut to the macro or assign the macro to a
toolbar button in order to make it easy to print your documents.

------------------------
Macro 1- prints the active document without showing the Print dialog box:

Sub Print_ShowNoWarning_1()
With Application
'Turn off DisplayAlerts
.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
'Print document
'Background print must be turned off to prevent message
.PrintOut Background:=False
'Turn on DisplayAlerts again
.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
End With
End Sub

------------------------
Macro 2 - shows the Print dialog box. Use this version if you want to be
able to specify other print settings:

Sub Print_ShowNoWarning_2()
Dim bPrintBackgroud As Boolean

'Save current setting of background printing
bPrintBackgroud = Options.PrintBackground

Options.PrintBackground = False
'Turn off DisplayAlerts
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show
'Turn on DisplayAlerts again
Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll

'Set original background printing setting
Options.PrintBackground = bPrintBackgroud
End Sub