What does the suffix "-ant" mean?

Old May 7th 10, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mmm

Default What does the suffix "-ant" mean?

I am dissecting the word "important"...I am looking at the word "Import"
incased within. Now I belive "ant" is a suffix. Yes? Like Preview..Pre is
a prefix. What does the ant indicate? A noun?
Old May 7th 10, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Although this group has "word" in its name, it's about the program named
Microsoft Word, not about words in general. What you're looking for is the
etymology of the word "important", such as the one at
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=important. If that doesn't help,
use a search engine to look for the words "etymology" and "important" in the
same article -- or use a paper dictionary.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old May 7th 10, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_]

No, it is not a suffix. It has no meaning as a standalone. It does not
indicate a noun. In the word important, it's simply because that's what the
word is.