SteveB

Default How do I turn off "Control + click to follow link" in Word TOC?

I want to paste a TOC into an E-mail message to discuss the document. How do
I preserve the TOC format and turn off the follow link feature? If I don't
turn it off it creates havoc for the reader. Thanks. Steve
CyberTaz

Hi Steve-

Using Outlook? How about EditPaste Special as Microsoft Word Document
Object or as Picture?

HTH |:)
"SteveB" wrote:

I want to paste a TOC into an E-mail message to discuss the document. How do
I preserve the TOC format and turn off the follow link feature? If I don't
turn it off it creates havoc for the reader. Thanks. Steve

Shauna Kelly

Hi Steve

I assume you want to send the text of the Table of Contents, but not have it
linked to the headings in your document. If that's the case, here are two
suggestions:

1. Copy the Table of Contents as usual. Then paste them into a new blank
Word document using Edit Paste Special Unformatted unicode text. That
will abandon all formatting, including the links.

2. Put your cursor within the Table of Contents. Do Shift-F9. If you see \h,
then remove it. And add a new switch, \n. Press F9 to update the Table of
Contents, then Shift-F9 to display the field results instead of the field
codes.

This second method works as follows. In recent versions of Word, if you
create a Table of Contents using Insert Reference Table of Contents,
Word will automatically add hyperlinks to the text in the TOC entries. The
\h switch inserts these hyperlinks. If you remove it, the hyperlinks are
also removed. However, when you do that, the page numbers still have
hyperlinks attached. Since you're sending the TOC only, page numbers don't
matter to your reader. The \n switch removes the page numbers, and their
links. So you now have a TOC without any links (and without any page
numbers).

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word