Cindy

Default Links within a Word document

How do I create links in a Word document to navigate within the document?
For instance, having a link on a Table of Contents item to take the user
directly to that particular section. Is this possible.
CyberTaz

Hi Cindy-

Specifics vary a little depending on version of Word, but if you use the
InsertReferenceTable of Contents feature your TOC entries _are_ created as
hyperlinks to the content to which they pertain.

HTH |:)

"Cindy" wrote:

How do I create links in a Word document to navigate within the document?
For instance, having a link on a Table of Contents item to take the user
directly to that particular section. Is this possible.

JayneLouise47

Under "table of contents" in the index and tables window check the box for
'use hyperlinks instead of page numbers'.

"Cindy" wrote:

How do I create links in a Word document to navigate within the document?
For instance, having a link on a Table of Contents item to take the user
directly to that particular section. Is this possible.

CyberTaz

Sorry, had to run off for a minute.

You can also create Bookmarks in the doc and hyperlink to them by selecting
text (or an image) and using the InsertHyperlink command. Click the button
on the left panel of the dialog box for Place in this Document and choose the
desired 'link to' location from the list of Bookmarks (as well as Styled
Headings) which appears in the content area.

Good Luck |:)

"Cindy" wrote:

How do I create links in a Word document to navigate within the document?
For instance, having a link on a Table of Contents item to take the user
directly to that particular section. Is this possible.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Cindy

In recent versions of Word, if you construct a Table of Contents using
Insert Reference Table of Contents, then Word will automatically link
both the text and the page number to the relevant heading. In earlier
versions of Word, only the page number was a hyperlink. For information on
how to create a table of contents, see
How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

The other main way to create links within a document is to use Insert
Hyperlink. In the left hand panel, click "Place in this document". You can
then create a link to any paragraph in a built-in heading style, or any
bookmark that you have created with Insert Bookmark.

If you have Word 2002 or Word 2003, and if you have used the built-in
heading styles to format your headings, then you can also use View
Document Map, which gives you a clickable list. However, I don't recommend
using it in Word 2000 or before, or if you have not used the built-in
heading styles in your document.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Cindy" wrote in message
How do I create links in a Word document to navigate within the document?
For instance, having a link on a Table of Contents item to take the user
directly to that particular section. Is this possible.

Sweetpea60

I tried creating a bookmark and then inserting a hyperlink. I can do both
but the link does not go anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Patti