Drop downs in form not working

Old July 6th 12, 09:34 PM
Cubicle Cubicle is offline

Default Drop downs in form not working

I have created a form as a template and I can access the resulting document created from the template just fine. However when I send the document to a client, she cannot get the drop down fields to work. I sent a copy to myself and tested it on another computer and it worked fine.

The form was created in Word 2007 on a PC and she has Office for Mac.

Any ideas?
Old July 8th 12, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

The fact that both WinWord and MacWord are involved might be crucial here...
However, as a starting point, which kind of fields are you using? Legacy form
fields? Content controls? ActiveX controls? Or a combination?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 8th 12, 10:40 PM
Cubicle Cubicle is offline

It is a combination of 2007 drop down menus, rich text areas and legacy check boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
Old July 9th 12, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Presumably the "2007 drop down menus" and "rich text areas" are content
controls. The "legacy check boxes" are check box form fields. Whenever
legacy form fields are used, the document must be protected for forms. This
would prevent the use of the content controls.

http://word.mvps.org

"Cubicle" wrote in message

It is a combination of 2007 drop down menus, rich text areas and legacy
check boxes.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;492774']The fact that both WinWord and MacWord are involved might be
crucial here...
However, as a starting point, which kind of fields are you using? Legacy
form
fields? Content controls? ActiveX controls? Or a combination?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-

Old July 9th 12, 04:33 PM
Cubicle Cubicle is offline

The document is protected and enabled for filling out forms. It looks as though it is a problem between WinWord and MacWord. I sent it to another person in their company and they were able to use it. Now how do I get the Mac version to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;492774']The fact that both WinWord and MacWord are involved might be
crucial here...
However, as a starting point, which kind of fields are you using? Legacy
form
fields? Content controls? ActiveX controls? Or a combination?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cubicle"
wrote in message
...-

I have created a form as a template and I can access the resulting
document created from the template just fine. However when I send the
document to a client, she cannot get the drop down fields to work. I
sent a copy to myself and tested it on another computer and it worked
fine.

The form was created in Word 2007 on a PC and she has Office for Mac.

Any ideas?

--
Cubicle -

--
Cubicle

Last edited by Cubicle : July 9th 12 at 10:34 PM.
Old July 10th 12, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, Word 2007 doesn't have check box content controls (an
omission that the Word team heard loud and clear and rectified in Word
2010). You can use MacroButton check boxes (see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...document.html),
but those require a template (for AutoText) and enabling macros, so they
aren't really practical in most cases.

In this case, a better option is probably to go with legacy form fields
entirely. There's nothing comparable to a Rich Text content control, and you
do have to protect the document for forms, but at least it will work.

http://word.mvps.org

"Cubicle" wrote in message

The document is protected and enabled for filling out forms. So is there
a way to get rid of the legacy check boxes and still have an area that
allows for multiple selections? For example a (check all that apply)
area.

Suzanne S. Barnhill;492776 Wrote:
Presumably the "2007 drop down menus" and "rich text areas" are content

controls. The "legacy check boxes" are check box form fields. Whenever
legacy form fields are used, the document must be protected for forms.
This
would prevent the use of the content controls.

http://word.mvps.org

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;492774']The fact that both WinWord and MacWord are involved might be
crucial here...
However, as a starting point, which kind of fields are you using?
Legacy
form
fields? Content controls? ActiveX controls? Or a combination?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cubicle"
...-

-

--
Cubicle

Old July 10th 12, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Note that the recent versions of Greg Maxey's add-in does *not* make use
of AutoText, as explained in the (updated) article.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old July 10th 12, 05:29 PM
Cubicle Cubicle is offline

I have tried this, but I have a list that is about 150 choices long for the drop down menu as well as a list of US States. Legacy only allows 25 options in their drop downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
In this case, a better option is probably to go with legacy form fields
entirely. There's nothing comparable to a Rich Text content control, and
you do have to protect the document for forms, but at least it will work.
[/i][/color]

[/i][/color]
Old July 11th 12, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, maybe you need to upgrade to a UserForm.

http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill;492782 Wrote:
In this case, a better option is probably to go with legacy form
fields
entirely. There's nothing comparable to a Rich Text content control,
and
you do have to protect the document for forms, but at least it will
work.

[/i][/color]

--
Cubicle
[/i][/color]

Track changes in a form made to text boxes, drop downs selected, [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 April 17th 09 07:22 AM
Drop-downs CV New Users 0 February 27th 08 01:59 AM
Form Prompting - Fill-ins; Drop-downs; Check Boxes t2true Microsoft Word Help 1 January 25th 07 11:09 PM
The drop down form field is not showing drop downs. Why? mindysue Microsoft Word Help 1 May 26th 05 09:43 PM
Drop downs Kerry Microsoft Word Help 1 December 22nd 04 04:53 AM