kathyturner kathyturner is offline
Junior Member

Default Get grammar checker to recognise additional spaces between WORDS

Hello!
Until recently my grammar checker (Word 2010) would show additional spacing added between words with a wiggly green line. Now it ignores that additional spacing. How can I restore it? I've gone to file/options/proofreading/ BUT cannot find a suitable category to click or unclick.

Thanks
Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

At File tab | Options | Proofing, click the Settings button (next to the
"Writing style" drop down) and make sure that "Spaces required between
sentences" is set to what you want.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kathyturner" wrote in message ...

Hello!
Until recently my grammar checker (Word 2010) would show additional
spacing added between words with a wiggly green line. Now it ignores
that additional spacing. How can I restore it? I've gone to
file/options/proofreading/ BUT cannot find a suitable category to click
or unclick.

Thanks
Kathy

--
kathyturner

kathyturner kathyturner is offline
Junior Member

Thank you Stefan:
I made the change you suggested, BUT it does not solve the problem.
Here is a screencast (using Jing) of 2 test sentences. As you can see ONLY TWO of the spacing errors IN the sentences were picked up: http://screencast.com/t/Nap0uiLs9FV

EVEN more puzzling: Here is a screencast of the same 2 test sentences but with extra space added between them. Grammar checker picked up the space between sentences BUT ONLY ONE of the space errors within the sentences: http://screencast.com/t/TgVxkEa92

What is happening?
Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
At File tab | Options | Proofing, click the Settings button (next to the
"Writing style" drop down) and make sure that "Spaces required between
sentences" is set to what you want.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kathyturner" wrote in message ...

Hello!
Until recently my grammar checker (Word 2010) would show additional
spacing added between words with a wiggly green line. Now it ignores
that additional spacing. How can I restore it? I've gone to
file/options/proofreading/ BUT cannot find a suitable category to click
or unclick.

Thanks
Kathy

--
kathyturner

Last edited by kathyturner : September 2nd 12 at 01:40 AM Reason: I had inserted the wrong URL
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is strange. For me it appears to work correctly.

Verify that the correct language is applied to text and that "Mark grammar
errors as you type" is selected in the Proofing category (of File tab |
Options).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kathyturner" wrote in message ...

Thank you Stefan:
I made the change you suggested, BUT it does not solve the problem.
Here is a screencast (using Jing) of 2 test sentences. As you can see
ONLY TWO of the spacing errors IN the sentences were picked up:
http://screencast.com/t/Nap0uiLs9FV

EVEN more puzzling: Here is a screencast of the same 2 test sentences
but with extra space added between them. Grammar checker picked up the
space between sentences BUT ONLY ONE of the space errors within the
sentences: http://screencast.com/t/TgVxkEa92

What is happening?
Kathy

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493192']At File tab | Options | Proofing, click the Settings button
(next to the
"Writing style" drop down) and make sure that "Spaces required between
sentences" is set to what you want.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kathyturner" wrote in message

Hello!
Until recently my grammar checker (Word 2010) would show additional
spacing added between words with a wiggly green line. Now it ignores
that additional spacing. How can I restore it? I've gone to
file/options/proofreading/ BUT cannot find a suitable category to click
or unclick.

Thanks
Kathy

--
kathyturner

--
kathyturner

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why not just do a Find-Replace, with two spaces in the Find Box, one
space in the Replace With box, click Replace All, and keep doing it
until it reports "0 replacements"?

On Sep 7, 9:05*pm, kathyturner
wrote:
YES - both of those are done. STILL a problem. I find that it will pick
up the FIRST lot of double spacing in any sentence but not any others!
Kathy

;493199']This is strange. For me it appears to work correctly.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;493192']At File tab | Options | Proofing, click the Settings button
(next to the
"Writing style" drop down) and make sure that "Spaces required between
sentences" is set to what you want.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kathyturner" *wrote in message

Hello!
Until recently my grammar checker (Word 2010) would show additional
spacing added between words with a wiggly green line. Now it ignores
that additional spacing. How can I restore it? I've gone to
file/options/proofreading/ BUT cannot find a suitable category to
click
or unclick.

Thanks
Kathy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

In my experience, the grammar checker often flags the first error in a
sentence but does not flag subsequent errors until the first is corrected.
Not terribly helpful, but at least it does cut down on the amount of wavy
underlining.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Maybe not terribly helpful, but it certainly explains some of the symptoms
described in this thread...
:-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

Thanks Stefan, Suzanne, and Peter:

It is true Suzanne! Grammar checker will only recognise ONE double spacing in a document at a time. Once one is fixed, it moves onto the next. Then I fix that, and the next error appears. Unbelievable!! You wouldn't want to have a long document!! Grammar checker did not do this (for me) until recently.

Peter - yes your idea of using 'replace' works nicely for catching all double spaces. But it doesn't let me see WHERE the errors were and it doesn't catch any other errors e.g. a space left after a quotation mark. (I need both of these as I'm using WORD to help proofread documents).

Something has changed in WORD 2010???? I really MUCH PREFERRED the earlier version of Word that I had (2003??? 2007???) - it worked really well. With Word 2010 (maybe just because it is click-to-run) there are more problems (and it has lost some really lovely features of earlier versions, such as the ability to create a sound object with a click!).

Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sep 16, 5:59*pm, kathyturner
wrote:
Thanks Stefan, Suzanne, and Peter:

It is true Suzanne! Grammar checker will only recognise ONE double
spacing in a document at a time. Once one is fixed, it moves onto the
next. Then I fix that, and the next error appears. Unbelievable!! You
wouldn't want to have a long document!! Grammar checker did not do this
(for me) until recently.

Peter - yes your idea of using 'replace' works nicely for catching all
double spaces. But it doesn't let me see WHERE the errors were and it
doesn't catch any other errors e.g. a space left after a quotation mark.
(I need both of these as I'm using WORD to help proofread documents).

Then instead of "Replace All," just use "Replace," and it takes you to
the next instance. (But why would you need to see where they are?
They're never desirable.)

Again, you can search Left-open-quote+space.

Something has changed in WORD 2010???? I really MUCH PREFERRED the
earlier version of Word that I had (2003??? 2007???) - it worked really
well. With Word 2010 *(maybe just because it is click-to-run) there are
more problems (and it has lost some really lovely features of earlier
versions, such as the ability to create a sound object with a click!).

If it had a ribbon, it was 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

If you still have the installation media for your earlier version, there's
no reason you can't uninstall Word 2010 and reinstall the earlier version.
One feature I find I really like about Word 2010, however, is that, when you
use simple Find, Word uses the navigation pane and displays all the found
instances in it.

As for "click-to-run," you don't have to settle for that. You can replace it
with a locally installed version. See
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01094_Offic...ick-to-Run.htm.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, the Find tab of the Navigation pane is quite useful.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

kathyturner kathyturner is offline
Junior Member

Again thanks Stefan, Peter and Suzanne:
Peter - I need to see the spaces as the proofing interface I'm using picks up spelling but not spacing (and as these are scanned old texts - as part of the Distributed Proofreaders working to produce well proofed ebooks for Project Gutenberg - there are quite a few spacing errors) - I thought, cunningly, that I could use Word's Grammar checker as a back up for my eyes in spotting space errors. Ah well ... back to eyes!

Thanks for the link Suzanne - I'll switch out of 'click-to-run'. That might even help! I'll have to wait till I get home to do that in a few weeks' time -as I'm travelling at the moment.

Yes Suzanne and Stefan the 'find' is helpful!

Kathy