Jello Jello is offline
Junior Member

Default Update toc dialog box doesn't come up

I need to update my table of contents with just page numbers. When I right click and choose update field, the update toc dialog box doesn't come up. It updates the entire table of contents and changes the formatting. How can I remedy this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The formatting should be put into the styles for each of the ToC
levels, rather than applied after the ToC has been generated. If
you've already done that, what sort of formatting is changing?

You might try Show Fields (is that Shift-F9?) and right-click on the
gobbledegook that appears. But indeed, whenever I update a ToC or an
Index, it does ask whether to do just the page numbers or the whole
thing.

--
Jello

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

I find that in some cases it will automatically update the entire table
(without asking). I know this is the case in an appendix listing that
doesn't include page numbers, but I think it may also happen when Word knows
that there is content to add/change.

On Sep 21, 10:21 pm, Jello wrote:
I need to update my table of contents with just page numbers. When I
right click and choose update field, the update toc dialog box doesn't
come up. It updates the entire table of contents and changes the
formatting. How can I remedy this?

--
Jello

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that Shift+F9 shows/hides field codes in the selection, while Alt+F9
shows/hides all field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Sep 21, 10:21 pm, Jello wrote:
I need to update my table of contents with just page numbers. When I
right click and choose update field, the update toc dialog box doesn't
come up. It updates the entire table of contents and changes the
formatting. How can I remedy this?

--
Jello

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

:-)

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Jello Jello is offline
Junior Member

The entire format of the table of contents changes. I haven't put it into the styles for the Toc levels. How do I do that? I just want the dialog box to pop up so I can only update the page numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post

On Sep 21, 10:21*pm, Jello wrote:
I need to update my table of contents with just page numbers. *When I
right click and choose update field, the update toc dialog box doesn't
come up. *It updates the entire table of contents and changes the
formatting. How can I remedy this?

--
Jello
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As stated in other replies, if Word finds that headings have been added or
removed, it will update the whole TOC without asking you. There is no way around
that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Sep 21, 10:21*pm, Jello wrote:-
I need to update my table of contents with just page numbers. *When I
right click and choose update field, the update toc dialog box doesn't
come up. *It updates the entire table of contents and changes the
formatting. How can I remedy this?

--
Jello-

--
Jello

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

You modify TOC styles the same way as any other, though actually it's a bit
easier for TOC styles because they're set to update automatically, so any
changes you make to the paragraph formatting will be made to the style.
Direct font formatting doesn't seem to reliably update the style; for that
you will probably need to modify the style directly: see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.