mrbill1033

Default MSWord: how to turn off red dot underlining

I am editing a word document sent to me. Some words and some phrases have red
dots under them. I do not have this problem with my MSWord 2002.
Where is this function located so that it may be turned off. I can correct
it but it must be done word by word. I put space in the word and hit
Backspace, and the red dots disappear!
Thank you for any help.

Are you sure they're red? Purple dots indicate smart tags. According to
Word's Help, "You can use smart tags to perform actions in Word that you'd
normally open other programs to do." Those actions are defined as "actions:
Tasks that can be performed by using smart tags. For example, adding a name
to a Microsoft Outlook Contacts folder is one action that might be taken
with a person name smart tag.)" Since I have yet to find any actual use for
smart tags, I remove them from my documents; do this on the Smart Tags tab
of Tools | AutoCorrect Options.

"mrbill1033" wrote in message
I am editing a word document sent to me. Some words and some phrases have

red
dots under them. I do not have this problem with my MSWord 2002.
Where is this function located so that it may be turned off. I can correct
it but it must be done word by word. I put space in the word and hit
Backspace, and the red dots disappear!
Thank you for any help.

Mr. Bill

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instructions and when I clicked on
undo the smart tags, the "red underlining dots" disappeared. This should save
me many hours of going through the documents (some over 100 pages) to edit
the dots out!

Regards from MrBill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

FWIW, the dots don't print--they're just annoying.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure they're red? Purple dots indicate smart tags. According to
Word's Help, "You can use smart tags to perform actions in Word that

you'd
normally open other programs to do." Those actions are defined as

"actions:
Tasks that can be performed by using smart tags. For example, adding a

name
to a Microsoft Outlook Contacts folder is one action that might be taken
with a person name smart tag.)" Since I have yet to find any actual use

for
smart tags, I remove them from my documents; do this on the Smart Tags

tab
of Tools | AutoCorrect Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org