Insert of (Figure and Table) caption not picking up chapter number

Old May 7th 05, 01:42 PM
bvuk

Default Insert of (Figure and Table) caption not picking up chapter number

Really strange problem - it used to work and it still does for my backuped
version of the file (in question). The problem might have been affected with
changes I was doing on the template for the current document.

However, I don't know how this condition was created nor I know how to fix it.

Word 2003
Insert - Reference - Caption
When I want to insert 'table' the Word gives me only Table 1-1, even though
it should be Table 4-1 (I am in the chapter 4).

As I said, the same document, backuped file (2 weeks old), is available. I
am not able to see the difference in the formatting - everything looks the
same between these two documents.

In that old document,
Insert - Reference - Caption
gives me Table 4-1.

As I said, in my current document,
Insert - Reference - Caption
gives me Table 1-1.

Really frustrating. Any help highly appreciated.

Old May 7th 05, 03:06 PM
Shauna Kelly

Hi bvuk

I assume that you're using Heading 1 style to number your chapters? If so,
then as a test, I suggest you try the following:

Insert a paragraph and apply style Heading 1. Since you're already in
Chapter 4, this should be numbered 5.

Immediately after that, insert a caption. It should be numbered 5-1.

If that doesn't work properly, then do Insert Reference Caption. Click
Numbering, and make sure that the "Chapter starts with style" box refers to
Heading 1.

Hope this helps. If not, post back and let us know what heading style you
are using for your chapter numbering, and what are the settings when you
click Numbering in the Caption dialog box.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Old May 8th 05, 03:44 PM
bvuk

Hello Shauna,

Your suggestion to insert a new chapter and to confirm the type for the
style worked.

I created a new chapter and 'inserted a Figure caption'. The new chapter
number was correctly picked up.

I realized that my existing 'Heading 1' could be messed and different from
'Heading 1' styles. And, they were not 'Heading 1', but some subtype of
Heading 1. I changed all of them - things are working now.

Thanks a LOT!
Bosko