How do I get ASK field in template to Prompt user for input?

Old May 10th 05, 03:54 PM
nckare

Default How do I get ASK field in template to Prompt user for input?

In Word 2003, the FILLIN field works exactly as I want it to. But, I want to
bookmark the input data and use the REF code to place input data in different
locations in the form. When I create an ASK field, it prompts me at the time
I create it for input data. But, does not prompt again after the template
form is saved and re-opened. Am I misunderstanding how the ASK field is used?
It certainly doesn't make much sense for it only to work when a user creates
it and enters input data at that time. What's the point of that. I could more
easily bookmark text and then REF it later in the document. Thanks for any
insights anyone can provide.
Old May 10th 05, 06:06 PM
Margaret Aldis

The ASK field prompts the user whenever the field is updated, so to get the
prompt you need to trigger a field update. For instance, you could use it to
get the user to enter data before printing (by setting the option to update
fields before printing).

Depending on what you are trying to do, there may be better ways of doing
it. See here for a summary of the various possibilities (including how to
set a bookmark on a FILLIN field, if that's what you are looking for):

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Old May 10th 05, 07:50 PM
nckare

Thanks Margaret. This helped. Both the instructions for VBA code to trigger
the document to update fields each time it is opened, which causes the prompt
to be fired. And, the example of nesting the FILLIN field within a SET
bookmark field. Too bad it wasn't clear from the Microsoft instructions for
these form codes.

Old May 10th 05, 09:56 PM
Charles Kenyon

See the ASK and FILLIN field tutorial at
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.