How to write family name: "The Hess's", "The Hesses", The Hess'"?

Old May 26th 05, 09:17 PM
grammargirl

Default How to write family name: "The Hess's", "The Hesses", The Hess'"?

This is really a grammatical question: How do I write a family name when
referring to the entire family if it ends with an "s" or a "z"??? Example:
"The Sanchez's", "The Sanchezes", "The Sanchezs"??? Or "The Hess's", "The
Hesses", "The Hess'"? Any English teachers out there? PLEASE HELP!!!

Old May 26th 05, 10:32 PM
[email protected]

A quick codicile to this: if your referring to the possive, it should be an
apostrophe following the "s": the Hess' Christmas greeting. If you are
referring to the plural, Hesses is correct.

Proper nouns ending in y always form the plural simply by adding s, even
when the y is preceded by a consonant: Bushofskys.

"grammargirl" wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!!! But what about last name "Bushofsky"?

"DCA" wrote:

Hesses

Old May 26th 05, 10:56 PM

Possessive plural would be Hesses'. Singular would be Hess's. But a singular
Hess is not "the Hess" unless he's the chieftain of a Scottish clan.

" wrote
in message ...

"grammargirl" wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!!! But what about last name "Bushofsky"?

"DCA" wrote:

Hesses