Merged fields not printing

Old June 8th 05, 08:49 PM
Tina L.

Default Merged fields not printing

I am trying to print out barcodes, to label warehoused boxes. I have an
excel spreadsheet with one column, and a word document, which takes the
information from the excel spreadsheet.

When I merge the document, I can see the correct information on screen,
however when I submit a print preview, or print document, the merged fields
are not visible.

What am i doing wrong?
--
Tina L.
Old June 9th 05, 12:58 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBMLg==?=,

I am trying to print out barcodes, to label warehoused boxes. I have an
excel spreadsheet with one column, and a word document, which takes the
information from the excel spreadsheet.

When I merge the document, I can see the correct information on screen,
however when I submit a print preview, or print document, the merged fields
are not visible.

How about if you execute the merge to a new document? Do you see all the
information in the new document? And in print preview?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Old June 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Tina L.

I ave tried to merge it to a document. It looks like it works, all the data
is on the screen, however, when I create a print preview, or actually print,
nothing. If I go in and manually enter the data over the merged field, this
will print, but none of the merged fields will.

Stumped!
--
Tina L.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBMLg==?=,

Old June 10th 05, 08:37 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBMLg==?=,

I ave tried to merge it to a document. It looks like it works, all the data
is on the screen, however, when I create a print preview, or actually print,
nothing. If I go in and manually enter the data over the merged field, this
will print, but none of the merged fields will.

If you still have merge fields, then you have NOT merged to a new document. It
sounds like you're trying to print the main merge document. This is allowed,
although it's not how you're supposed to use mail merge. Which version of Word
do you have?

Have you checked whether the stuff that's not printing is formatted as "hidden"
text?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 10th 05, 03:59 PM
Tina L.

Cindy,

Thank you. The last time I dealt with hidden text was when I lived in
Switzerland! However, this is the first time that the text has been hidden
without me purposefully formatting it this way. It must have had something
to do with the cut-and paste I did to populate the labels.

Again, thank you so much.
--
Tina L.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBMLg==?=,

Old June 11th 05, 04:44 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGluYSBMLg==?=,

However, this is the first time that the text has been hidden
without me purposefully formatting it this way. It must have had something
to do with the cut-and paste I did to populate the labels.

I'm releaved that's all it was! I was already fearing the worst: that you'd
say, no, the text wasn't hidden... And then I wouldn't have known what to try
next :-)

Cindy Meister