Bottom Border for Headers?

Old June 8th 05, 08:53 PM
Berlie

Default Bottom Border for Headers?

How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section except the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not place a
border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been the even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?
Old June 8th 05, 11:29 PM

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

news

Old June 8th 05, 11:52 PM
Berlie

Thank you,

I understood how to make the first page header different, but how do I add a
bottom border to the headers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

news

Old June 9th 05, 05:02 AM

Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in

any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box

on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page

Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more,

see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

Old June 9th 05, 07:01 AM
Berlie

Thank yo for the help,

I put up an image to try to help explain the problem I am trying to solve.
When I do add the border to the header style this is the result I get:
http://berlie.com/headerborder.gif

As you can see the border doesn't extend underneath the page numbers
properly. What I am trying to do is have it like this but have the border
extend out across the entire bottom of the header including the page numbers.

Old June 9th 05, 12:25 PM
Stefan Blom

Did you insert the page number via InsertPage Numbers? If so, Word
put it inside a little frame. Also, Word seems to add some right
indent to the paragraph in the header when inserting the frame. You
can set the indent back to zero in FormatParagraph to make the border
extend to the right margin.

Alternatively, with the cursor inside the header area, instead of
using a paragraph border, draw a line using the Line button on the
Drawing toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 9th 05, 02:17 PM

I haven't looked at your GIF but would guess that Stefan has summed up the
problem. Don't use Insert | Page Numbers to insert your page numbers.
Instead, insert them as part of the header itself. For safe removal of
existing page numbers, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm