how to open password protected word file (forgot password)

Old December 24th 04, 07:09 PM
Sreenivasan M J

Default how to open password protected word file (forgot password)

How to open protected word file by password?. The file was created on mid on
2003. And i forgot the password.
Old December 26th 04, 04:34 PM
Beth Melton

It depends on how you protected it. If you used Tools/Protect Document
then you're in luck. Create a new document and use Insert/File to
insert the contents of the protected document.

Now if you protected it with a password to open then that's another
story. There are some password cracking utilities out there but the
success rate depends on what you used for the password and those that
actually work aren't free.

I created a password that contained numbers, symbols and alpha
characters both upper case and lower case, no words which can be found
in the dictionary, and used 9 characters.

I tested some popular password cracking software which claims they can
crack a password of any length provided it is a dictionary word, and
up to 9 characters using brute force. I let the utility run on a PC I
wasn't using for 123 hours, 49 minutes, and 5 seconds. It never
cracked the password - I finally gave up!

Also note that the utility uses so many resources it's next to
impossible to run additional software while it is running.

Something else to keep in mind, if you purchase such a utility you are
giving your credit card number to a known crack. g

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/