How do I make my Word files smaller?

Old June 21st 05, 02:38 PM
[email protected]

Default How do I make my Word files smaller?

I have a 13 page text document with a few text tables that is now saving at
over 2.1 MB. How can I reduce this? There are no image files in the document.
Fast Save and Track Changes are off. Fonts are not embedded. I've tried Save
As with a new file name, and it still remains a huge file.

The file was 153 KB a week ago, and I've only edited text since then.

_Shawn
Old June 21st 05, 03:09 PM
Anne Troy

Hi, Shawn. I have an appointment at the facility in Wilkes Barre on Friday.

Try Step 2 first:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...d_document.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

Old June 21st 05, 03:48 PM
[email protected]

Thanks. That probably would have worked. In the meantime, I discovered that I
had previously saved one version. I deleted that and it went back to 173 KB.

It seems like a bad feature of Word to have one version take up so much space.

Thanks
_Shawn

Old June 21st 05, 04:21 PM

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.