How do I insert a maths grid with x and y axis

Old July 2nd 05, 09:25 AM
Dog food

Default How do I insert a maths grid with x and y axis

Anyone help I'm starting to pull my hair out. the normal charts aren't what
I'm after.
Old July 2nd 05, 03:58 PM

Actually, I don't see why MS Graph wouldn't do this perfectly well. An
ordinary line graph with x and y axes and gridlines set to appropriate
intervals (this is user customizable) should do the trick. The chart need
not contain any real data. You can get the whole thing with a single data
point. Remove the axis and data labels (and legend, of course). Format the
data point not to be displayed (as long as there's only one, there will be
no line, either). You'd also need to change the background to white and
everything else to black, but I have that set up as a custom chart type
already since most of the charts I prepare are for monochrome laser
printers.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 01:25:01 -0700, "Dog food" Dog
wrote:

Anyone help I'm starting to pull my hair out. the normal charts aren't

what
I'm after.

Word doesn't have a good tool for this (it has a poor one -- see
below). If you have Excel, make the grid in a chart there, copy it to
the clipboard, and paste it into your Word document.

If you must do the job in Word, first display the Drawing toolbar.
Click the Draw button, select Grid, set the dimensions of the squares
you want, and check "Snap objects to grid" and "Show grid on screen".
These gridlines appear only on screen -- they don't print.

Now select the line tool and draw the lines that you want to print,
placing them along the screen gridlines. (Hint: you can draw one line
in each direction, then click the white Select arrow on the toolbar,
hold down Ctrl and drag to make copies of the line.)

When all the lines are in place, drag a box around the entire grid so
all the lines are selected, then click the Draw button and select
Group. Then click Grid and uncheck "Show grid on screen" (and you may
want to set the horizontal and vertical spacing back to 0.125" because
it affects the places where you can set tabstops on the ruler).

As you can see, making the chart in Excel is a lot easier...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman