Zed

Default I want word to work out a persons age!

I know you can do this in Excel using the 'datedif' function, but is it
possible to get the same result in word, using a table??

I have a form in word where you have to enter a date of birth, and I'm sure
it must be possible to get word to give you an age based on that date, rather
than having to type it in... Any help appreciated..

Thanks very much

Zed
Pat Garard

G'Day Zed,

I already wish I hadn't answered this.

1. The DATEDIF function is peculiar to Excel. VBA (and
Word) have the DateDiff() Function. It is NOT easy to
use Datedif() to calculate an age.
We humans use a form of 'compound arithmetic' that
DateDiff() does not - it directly gives an age in DAYS.

To turn this into 'Human' Years, Months, Days is a pain!
See (Function Age (...) bottom of Page):
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

2. In Word IT IS MUCH WORSE! You can not call VBA
Functions directly as you can in Excel.
See (for a reasonable fudge):
http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/...th_Fields.html
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Zed" wrote in message
I know you can do this in Excel using the 'datedif' function, but is
it
possible to get the same result in word, using a table??

I have a form in word where you have to enter a date of birth, and
I'm sure
it must be possible to get word to give you an age based on that
date, rather
than having to type it in... Any help appreciated..

Thanks very much

Zed

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

It usually is. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Zed" wrote in message
I know you can do this in Excel using the 'datedif' function, but is
it
possible to get the same result in word, using a table??

I have a form in word where you have to enter a date of birth, and
I'm sure
it must be possible to get word to give you an age based on that
date, rather
than having to type it in... Any help appreciated..

Thanks very much

Zed

Jezebel

Especially as most people prefer to lie about it.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
It usually is. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Zed" wrote in message
I know you can do this in Excel using the 'datedif' function, but is
it
possible to get the same result in word, using a table??

I have a form in word where you have to enter a date of birth, and
I'm sure
it must be possible to get word to give you an age based on that
date, rather
than having to type it in... Any help appreciated..

Thanks very much

Zed

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I don't lie but I rarely ever state my age directly.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]