tennbob

Default How do I sort?

I have a document that contains lists of CD's. The format is:
Artist Title
tab album title
tab album title
Etc.

I got most of the document to sort, however for some pages when I highlight
the text to sort I get the error message "Word found no valid records to
sort". Or it acts like it performs a sort but nothing changes. Why isn't
the text I highlighted a "valid record"?
Anne Troy

Try this, Bob:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"tennbob" wrote in message
I have a document that contains lists of CD's. The format is:
Artist Title
tab album title
tab album title
Etc.

I got most of the document to sort, however for some pages when I

highlight
the text to sort I get the error message "Word found no valid records to
sort". Or it acts like it performs a sort but nothing changes. Why isn't
the text I highlighted a "valid record"?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Is your data in a table?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tennbob" wrote in message
I have a document that contains lists of CD's. The format is:
Artist Title
tab album title
tab album title
Etc.

I got most of the document to sort, however for some pages when I

highlight
the text to sort I get the error message "Word found no valid records
sort". Or it acts like it performs a sort but nothing changes. Why
isn't
the text I highlighted a "valid record"?

tennbob

No it isn't in a table. Here is an example of one of my entries:
Candy Dulfer
tabSaxuality
tabSax a Go Go
tabFor the Love of You
tabThe Best of
tabWhat Does it Take
Right in My Soul

I have over 11,500 CD's

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Is your data in a table?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tennbob" wrote in message
I have a document that contains lists of CD's. The format is:
Artist Title
tab album title
tab album title
Etc.

I got most of the document to sort, however for some pages when I
highlight
the text to sort I get the error message "Word found no valid records
sort". Or it acts like it performs a sort but nothing changes. Why
isn't
the text I highlighted a "valid record"?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Saxuality is a phenomenal CD! I actually own that one myself. :-)

I'd suggest doing a find/replace for those tabs and get the data into a
format that could be imported into Excel. I actually think Access would be a
better choice for your data but Excel will do. You have a big job ahead of
you - better get busy.

(I wish I could have offered you a better suggestion. Anyone who enjoys
Candy Dulfer is okay in my book.)
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tennbob" wrote in message
No it isn't in a table. Here is an example of one of my entries:
Candy Dulfer
tabSaxuality
tabSax a Go Go
tabFor the Love of You
tabThe Best of
tabWhat Does it Take
Right in My Soul

I have over 11,500 CD's

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Is your data in a table?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tennbob" wrote in message
I have a document that contains lists of CD's. The format is:
Artist Title
tab album title
tab album title
Etc.

I got most of the document to sort, however for some pages when I
highlight
the text to sort I get the error message "Word found no valid
records
sort". Or it acts like it performs a sort but nothing changes. Why
isn't
the text I highlighted a "valid record"?

Table Sort - Sort only 3 of 4 columns KGlennC Microsoft Word Help 2 February 26th 05 04:20 PM
I can't get mail merge to sort firepastor Mailmerge 1 February 14th 05 08:27 PM
Can't sort table alphabetically Tiffany Microsoft Word Help 1 January 21st 05 10:17 PM
Column Sort BenP Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 10:15 AM
Sort Table Amy Tables 1 November 14th 04 02:28 PM