How do I insert the symbols for long and short vowel sounds?

Old August 8th 05, 12:38 PM
bubba78

Default How do I insert the symbols for long and short vowel sounds?

I am creating a literacy assessment andd want to know how to insert the
symbols for long and short vowel sounds above letters. Suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.
Old August 8th 05, 03:22 PM
Jezebel

If you trawl the nether regions of the unicode font table (Insert Symbol)
you'll find quite a range of diacritic characters and glyphs.If you can't
find full characters to your liking you can --

1. Do a Google for something like font +phonetic, to find a downloadable
font, or

2. Construct your own using a diacritic mark plus advance field plus the
character itself, eg {Advance \l 5}a You can define these constructed
characters as Autotext entries if you need to use them repeatedly, or

3. Email someone who's published something using the characters you want and
ask them what they used.

Old August 8th 05, 05:21 PM

All the vowels with both macron (long vowels) and breve (short vowels) are
in the Unicode range 0100 to 016B. For more on inserting these characters,
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm