Covert Web Archive single file (*mht) to Word

Old August 10th 05, 06:48 PM
carrera

Default Covert Web Archive single file (*mht) to Word

Hi - I very seldom use Word, so forgive me if I sound ignorant....

I have been saving a page off my company's intranet using save as - Web
Archive single file (*mht)

I want to condence the files, as some get large.
I tried saving one as a Word document, didn't work.
Tried cutting and pasting, and finally tried to save in Excel.

None are really satifactory, as then I have to format so many columns.

How can I take this file and convert to word?
Old August 11th 05, 02:52 PM
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Carrera,

What version of Word are you using?
Were these MHT files one that were originally created in Word?

What are the steps you're using to open the file in Word
and can you be a bit more specific about what 'didnt work'?

=========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Old August 11th 05, 05:40 PM
carrera

I'm using Word 2003
Were they created in Word originally? I don't know - in the past I would
first click "edit in Microsoft word and save that, but I was thinking at the
time that was too slow.

Now, when I have the MHT file open and click file, there of course is no
option to "edit in MS Word" when I save as a MS word doc, it appears as a
table in a word document, the columns are unformatted (see below in excel
statement), and would take to long to reformat for the volume I'm trying to
re-save.

When I would edit in MS word, I did not have this problem.

When I saved as an excel doc - again, the info was there, but the colums
were again unformatted, columns too close, columns to far apart, blank
columns, blank rows, etc.

If you try saving an internet page as a single file, THEN try to convert to
word, you'll see what I mean.

I don't want to recreate the wheel by having to go back and resave (edit in
MS Word)

Old August 12th 05, 02:08 PM
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Carrera,

Word suports .MHT files through File=Open in Word
(although it may not do well with all of them).
(If the MHT file was created in Word then generally
if you look at the file list in Windows Explorer the
icon for the file will include the Word 'W' logo as
part of the icon (Excel's icon would appear on Excel
created MHTs.

Whether you reduce the file size a lot by going from MHT
to .DOC can depend on what the original content was and
Word may display things that are only useful/workable in
a browser, oddly in Word (as you noted the formatting
doesn't always come through).

You can use Word's Batch Conversion Wizard
File=New=Templates=On my computer (from the Task Pane)
and that will be 'quicker' than using File=Open the Save
on an individual basis, but you won't know until later if
the document you get is usable in Word or how the formatting
'took'.

If the main goal is only to save space you may just want
to zip/condense the .MHT files.

"carrera" wrote in message ...
[...]

Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx