Innes

Default Linking Word and Excel

How do I link Word to an excel spreadsheet and get dynamic update?

I have test metric data in an Excel spreadsheet that I want to link into a
Word report.

I can't seem to do this and get an automatic update when the Excel data is
refreshed.

Andrea Jones

You will have to use the 'Update Field' facility to refresh your data but if
you use the Database Toolbar (see http://www
allaboutoffice.co.uk/worddatabase.htm ) to insert a table of your data that
shouldn't be a problem. When using the Insert Database facility make sure
you tick the 'Insert data as a field' box and then you'll be able to click
the Update icon on the database toolbar to refresh your table from your
spreadsheet.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutresources.com

"Innes" wrote:

How do I link Word to an excel spreadsheet and get dynamic update?

I have test metric data in an Excel spreadsheet that I want to link into a
Word report.

I can't seem to do this and get an automatic update when the Excel data is
refreshed.

Jezebel

Don't bother screwing around with commercial products like the rubbish from
AllAbout. Read help on LINK and REF fields, both of which provide dynamic
updates; or embed the Excel table.

Select and copy the data in Excel, switch to Word, and experiment with the
options on the PasteSpecial menu with 'Paste Link' selected.

"Innes" wrote in message
How do I link Word to an excel spreadsheet and get dynamic update?

I have test metric data in an Excel spreadsheet that I want to link into a
Word report.

I can't seem to do this and get an automatic update when the Excel data is
refreshed.

Innes

Bit of an over reaction I think - no commercial products involved in the
solution.

I'll have a look at your suggestion too.

Thanks for the reply.