MaryG

Default Typing Hebrew in Word 2000 from Right to Left

--
Mary
MaryG

Apologies for the initial blank.

My question is how to make Word 2000 change typing direction to right to
left. I've looked in 'Help' and followed all the instructions but still can't
do it. Could I somehow have 'lost' the facility?

Any help very gratefully received.
--
Mary

"MaryG" wrote:

--
Mary

JeePee

I saw you did not receive an answer yet. I don't know how to do it in Word
2000, but I needed this in Word 2003 myself. I could not find any option in
the format menu, but found a workaround (so for 2003).

- Right click the toolbar and choose customize
- Select the 'Commands' tab
- Select the format category
- Scroll down in the commands list until you find the 'Left-to-right' and
'Right-to-left' options.
- Now you can drag and drop these options somewhere on a toolbar for easy
access and change of writting direction.

-----------
Maybe you can also help me with an issue I have. A while ago I received an
email from an Israeli guy. Since then, something in word is messed up (I use
Word as email editor in Outlook 2003).

The default writing direction in my Word is left-to-right. However, since
his email it was changed to right-to-left. I could revers it by adding the 2
buttons to the toolbar as I mentioned above. However, whenever I receive a
reply on an email I wrote (which has my orgiginal text in it at the bottom),
my original text is right-to-left.

Also, when I insert a table of contents in a Word document, everything is
right-to-left (so page numbers on the left and chapters/paragraphs on the
right). Then I have to click the left-to-right button to fix it, but as soon
as I update the toc, it isl right-to-left again.

I checked everything in the Word options, but I an't find any setting that
could fix this. I have removed my normal.dot and let Word create a new one, I
have removed the custom signatures and recreated them all with no avail.

--
Thanks
JeePee

"MaryG" wrote:

--
Mary

MaryG

Hi, JeePee - many thanks for your reply, it was really good to get one. Sorry
I've been a long time replying - winter bug-blighted.

I discovered, at length, how to reverse direction in Word 2000 BUT it was
very treacherous and, like your email experience, I would get some Hebrew
down and, at some point, would do something and the whole lot would reverse
back and even muddle spelling. Word 2003 dpesn't sound any better! I've also
experienced the R-L affecting other stuff, inappropriately.

Anyway, I got so fedup and frustrated and, grumbling to a 'Hebraist', he
surprised me by saying he never used Word but always the Davka
word-processor. I then took some deep breaths, lashed out and bought it. It's
marvellous! Either language at the click of 2 buttons - and an awful lot else
as well. See the Davka site.

Are you a hebrew speaker or learner? I'm a learner - v.slow. But find it
fascinating.
Sorry I can't help anymore.

All best wishes,
--